Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Somebody Shoot Me!

Woke up about 6:00AM, wide awake, managed to fall back asleep after 7:00, and was dreaming that I was chatting with Courtney on MSN, and she was telling me how she had seen the light, and had become an environmentalist, and was saving the trees now. Then I was woke up by my mobile ringing at 7:50, it was White Island, they are going to the island today, looks like a nice day, the guy tells me.

So, got up, showered, had breakfast, as I was having breakfast, Pam was reading and Hare came back from work, ptu on his suit, grumbling about something. I was getting my car all packed, then as Hare was leaving, he gave me the Maori "goodbye" or greeting or something. Can't remember teh term for it, but it's like an eskimo kiss, we touch our noses together twice. He then tells me it's a spritual thing between two people, and he leaves. Pam then gives me a big hug, sad look in her eyes. Jeeze, you'd think I was their only child leaving home or something.

I headed to an internet for a few minutes, then down to White Island Tours and get on their brand new, 6-week old boat, and we left about 9:30.

1.5 hour trip to get out to the island, we got there shortly after 11:00, and we go on the tour of the island. Four companies tried to mine the sulfur on the island, all went backrupt. The only remains are from the last to try, which went backrupt in 1933. And numerous miners were killed on the island from volcanic activity or slides.

We walked to the edge of the main crater, it's filled with water, bright greenish-yellow. Lots of steam coming up from everywhere, fumaroles, etc. It was pretty much the same stuff I saw down in Rotorua.

My group is 17 strong, almost all old people. Imagine grandma climbing over big boulders, uneven surfaces, rocks, unstable ground and your can begin to imagine the pace of the tour.

Finished on the island about 1:30, then had lunch on the boat (included), then the skipper put the underwater camera in the water to see what we could see, then checked out a few seals nearby, then finally headed back to the mainland.

Got back about 4:00, I hopped in my car and started driving. My plan was kind of to stop in or near the Coromandel Peninsula this evening, making for a short drive to Auckland tomorrow. Perhaps I would check out Hot Water Beach again, as I couldn't get it to work last time around.

But, when I hit Tauranga, I hit a BIG traffic jam. Moved less than 1 kilometre in an hour, so finally got frustrated and turned south on a street, which happen to be a highway to Hamilton. I checked out the map, the goes right near Matamata (aka Hobbiton), where I can get on a different highway that goes back up north to Auckland. My total detour time was 120km. And it was probably still quicker than waiting in the traffic jam!

So, decided that I might as well go straight to Auckland tonight, since my detour pretty much bypassed the Coromandel Peninsula anyway, and it was getting late and all the hostels would be closed anyway.

On my way to Auckland, I was debating where to stay. Problem is, most hostels close reception earlier in the evening, and I was going to be arriving about 9:00PM. Auckland Central Backpackers (ACB, the one I stayed at the last two times, and the one I hate!) has 24 hour reception, and it is a good location, so finally decided to stay there, convincing myself that I could stand to stay there for 2 nights.

Got there about 8:50, and they have no big dorms left, all they have are small, 4-bed dorms for $2 more per night, so I take it. Small is right!!!! There's two bunkbeds stuffed into a tiny room, barely enough room to turn around. And it appears the other occupants are longer term, they have clothes on hangers all over the beds. And tons of food on the shelves.

I HATE IT HERE, WHY DID I COME HERE AGAIN???? UGH!! (That's where the subject of this journal entry comes from.)

Went to BK for supper, then wrote in my journal, then to bed about 10:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment