Thursday, September 04, 2003

Big Drive Day

Up at 6:00, the guy sleeping beneath me kept coughing loud all night, and I didn't get that great of a sleep. I went to the shower, and it had no cold water (!) at all, and it was too darn hot to get under, so I gave up and went to another shower room. This one was the opposite, barely any hot water, my shower was barely warm, but decided to stick it out instead of trying another shower. Had breakfast (free), then to the ferry terminal at 7:00, checked in and gueued and waited for the ferry.

Ramped onto the ferry about 7:45, and the ferry left promptly at 8:00. I read the whold trip, getting about 2/3rds of the way through book 3 of the trilogy. If it seems like it's taking me a long time to read them, well, they're big books, and I'm a slow reader!

Got to Wellington about 11:20, and drove north on SH1, stopping at one of the suburb cities for gas and KFC, then to Bully. From Bully, took SH3 to Wanganui. Crappy day, low, dreary cloud and rain. Got to Wanganui about 3:30. SH1 north of Wellington is the first highway in NZ that you can actually maintain a speed of 100kph!!!

Checked into the Tamara Backpackers Hostel, walked around downtown for a while, then back to the hostel and had supper, then decided to go to a movie, and saw Phone Booth. What a bizarre movie. Very, very original. A realtime movie too, the whole story unfolds in the 1.5 hours of the actual movie. Very good. It's about a guy who answers the phone in a public phone booth, and it ends up being a sniper who threatens to shoot him if he hangs up. Neat!

Back to hostel and to bed about 10:00, tired from the early wakeup this morning and the crap sleep I had last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment