Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Blue Mountains

Up about 8:15, showered, put my big backpack and shoulder bag into storage at the hostel, checked out, and went to Krave for breakfast, then caught the train to Central Station, then caught the 10:57 train to Katoomba, the main city in the Blue Mountains. Two hour train ride. Walked to the Blue Mountains YHA. Very nice hostel!

Wind blowing something horrible, and damn cold! I shouldn't have packed my toque and gloves in the box I sent home...I thought I was finished with them!!! Oh well, I'll suffer. I hope it's not windy like this all week.

Walked down to the info centre, saw the Three Sisters rock formations (yawn), then back to downtown, hit Coles for groceries, back to the hostel, wrote in journal.

Blue Mountains are boring, not anything like mountains. They look more like a vast plateau on top (or flat-topped hills) with deep gorges and valleys running through them, not unlike the Grand Canyon. Except the valleys here are full of temerate forests and sub-tropical jungle.

Made supper, went down to TV room and watched "Fight Club", then to bed, read for a while, then sleep took me.

No comments:

Post a Comment