Friday, September 26, 2003

Kristin and Scott Arrive

Up about 8:15, slept great, despite my sunburn. Had breakfast with Amy and Claudia, then showered.

Walked around a bit, then back to my hotel at 10:00, Maria wasn't around. I thought I was free. I was chatting with Micky (Indonesian friend of the Canadians) and Amy, and Maria comes walking up. I said Hi to her, and then said, "Sorry, I can't go with you today, my girlfriend arrived early.", and introduced her to Amy. Maria asked Amy when she arrived. Amy was on the ball, she replied early this morning, and said she was very tired from the flight. Well, Maria looked kind of disappointed and said, "I go now", and left. I felt bad, actually.

We all sat around outside their room, chatting and they started giving me stuff they didn't want: their leftover toilet paper, antibacterial handwash, and the aunt gave me her Canadian beach towel!!! She said if I don't take it, she'll just give it to someone else. So, I got a big blue beach towel with big, red Canadian flags on it.

At noon, we went out for lunch, and the aunt paid, I tried objecting, then back to the hotel and I helped them take their bags to the waiting truck.

About 3:00, walked down the main street and waited for some guy to say "Transport?" to me, I asked him how much to go to the airport, he said 15,000, I offered 10,000, he accepted, he handed me an eggshell helmet and I climbed on the back of his bike and he whisked me away to the airport.

Kristins and Scotts plane was late, supposed to land at 4:00, didn't arrive until 4:20. The finally made it out about 4:40, we got a taxi to my hotel and they booked a room there.

Kristin told me, as we were driving into Kuta from the airport, with all the small shops, motorcycles driving on the sidewalks, everything in disrepair, and chaos all around, that she was thinking to herself, "What have I got myself into?" She was expecting some Cancun-style, massive multi-million dollar resorts.

Just outside our hotel area, there is a bunch of ladies who grab your hand, ask your name, and then try to give you a gift of a leather bracelet, for free they say. I've always pulled my hand away, and not taken the "gift", knowing there is some sort of catch involved. So, as we're walking past, they try to grab mine, I pull it away, but they get Kristin and Scott. They put the bracelet on Kristin, being all nice, then take her by the hand down to there shop. Scott and I are standing in the street, watching her get taken away. After she disappears into the shop, we follow and she's sitting there, grin on her face, being pampered, as about 5 ladies are braiding her hair, giving her a manicure and pedicure, and painting her nails. They usher Scott in there too, and they start giving him a manicure. Well, I'm thinking to myself, if Scott and Kristin are doing it, I might as well too, so I allow them to sit me down, one of the girls comes over to me, and gives me a manicure. Near the end, the money subject comes up, and with all the commotion, I do remember hearing Kristin getting upset, too much, and I remember her saying she's "pissed off". Scott is getting sucked in as well, but I manage to barter my price down from 150,000, where she started, to 80,000. Anyway, Kristin paid 350,000, Scott 150,000 and I paid out 80,000. And that was Kristins and Scotts first lesson in the SE Asian economy! They always want your money first! Scott was totally pissed about the whole experience. Whereas Kristin, after we left, was happy as a lark, she was really impressed with the little flowers they put on her nails, and said it was worth it.

We walked to the beach, Scott bought some shorts. Back to the hotel, Scott and Kristin settled in, I played with my MP3 player, then about 7:30, went for supper and then to the Bounty Ship for happy hour and karaoke. Kristin did Guns & Roses, "Sweet Child O Mine". Karaoke here is neat, the band plays along live with you, no recorded music, and you even have live backup singers!

The toilet in Kristin and Scott's room has no toilet seat!

We then went to Paddy's, next door to the Bouny Ship, and stayed there most of the night. Scott left about 1:15, Kristin and I left about 1:45, then used an internet, then home after 2:00 sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment