Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Last Day in SE Asia...BOOHOO!

Up about 8:00, showered, went downstairs for breakfast (included with room; toast and tea or coffee). Chatted with the local staying in my room for a while about what to do, he recommended taking a boat to Manukan Island, part of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, for snorkelling. He said don't do any diving here, it's crap. Go to Sandakan for the diving, on the east cast of Sabah. Unfortunately, I don't have any time left to do that. He was also telling me about how great Christmas is in Sabah...most of the population is not Muslim, but Christian, and they love to party and drink for Christmas and New Years.

I decided to treat myself to a nice hotel room for my last night here. I had over 300 ringget left, and I needed to spend it. Tried the Hyatt, but they wanted too much, 230 ringget/night, I can only afford 150/night, I figure. Tried a bunch of other places, either too expensive, or crap. Finally found Hotel Capital for 90RM/night.

Checked out of Trekkers Lodge, moved to Capital, went to BK for lunch, decided to walk to Tanjung Aru Beach, stopped at Sutera, a huge 2-hotel, 27-hole golf course, and marina resort development along the way to check it out. I think I had one of the security guards from the hotel watching me as I was walking around...making sure I wasn't going to try to use the facilities! Then on to Tanjung Aru. Took me two hours, got there at 3:00, walked along the not particularly great beach, then through the Shangri-La resort. At the resort, I was watching and listening to the waves crash against the rocks, and realized that'll be the last time I hear/see that for quite some time. Boohoo!!!

Then got a public bus back to KK, went back to my room, wrote in journal, then to the internet. Went to "Little Italy" for supper, a restaurant located right next to my hotel, for a pasta supper, then walked to the food market esplanade along the waterfront. On the way, saw two small kids (8 years old, perhaps) and an infant (

No comments:

Post a Comment