Thursday, December 18, 2003

Hiking in Lambir

Up at 8:00, showered, then to the information centre to find out where to go to dive. The girl told me I have to go to the Rihga Royal Hotel (which is the same place the tourist agency told me to go yesterday), so I decided to walk, about a 15 or 20 minute walk, I was told. Along the way, I kept seeing banners for a breakfast buffet at the Park Everett Hotel or some such name, another one of the HUGE resorts along the road. I got to the Park Everett one first, it was about a 30 minute walk, went in for breakfast. The chef was busy cooking up omelettes, so an older Aussie (I think) lady, who was waiting for her omelette took it upon herself to fry up some bacon for herself and me. Then I continued on to the Rihga Royal Hotel, it was about another 10 minutes further on. I asked at reception where I could get diving information, he told me I had to go to the hotel next to them, the Park Everette Hotel for diving, the one I just had breakfast at. Great, ok, so I walked back to the Park hotel, and asked at reception there, and the lady didn't know anything about any diving at all at their hotel. What a waste of a morning!!!

I decided to continue on further to check out Taman Selera, a beach and park area along the ocean. Kind of nice, but nothing special. Then walked back to town, got back about 11:30, went back into the tourist info centre and asked them how to get to Lambir Hills National Park. So, back to my room, got changed, then back to the bus stop to get the 12:00 bus to Lambir Hills National Park. Got there about 12:35, paid the park fee, and hiked all afternoon until about 3:45. Saw waterfalls, got lots of leeches all over my shoes (flicked them off before they found skin), and saw an old oil well. Very hard hiking, I was completely drenched in sweat.

Bought a bunch of water back at the cafeteria at the park head quarters, then about 4:15, waited at the highway for the 4:30 bus back to town. A mini-van bus came along, so I got a ride with him back into town for a tad more money.

Back at town, I went back to the information centre (third time today) and asked if there was a movie theatre in town. She told me yes there is, and they'll be showing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King tonight, she showed me where it was on the map, the same mall as McDonalds and Pizza Hut, so I went back to my room, showered, then to the cinema to buy a ticket. I had to get a ticket for the 10:00 showing, so I went down to Pizza Hut for supper, back to the room, then internet, packed, wrote in journal, then about 9:30, back to the cinema for the movie. Virtually sold out. Late start too, started about 10:20.

Long movie, it finished abotu 1:35AM. Walked back to the hotel and to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment