Thursday, February 14, 2008

Touring around Koh Yao Noi

Got up about 8:00, hung out until James got up, then we went for breakfast. I then took my backpack and started walking to Sabai Corner. About half way there, a local stopped and gave me a ride on the back of his motorbike to the hotel.

I dropped my stuff in my parent room, then went down and rented a motorbike (250 baht/day) and scooted down and got my laundry, then stopped back at James and told him I'd go up to where Erin and Shabana are staying and talk to them and get their plan sorted out. So, up to Erin and Shabana's place, they didn't really know what the plan was, and Erin wanted a ride on the motorbike, so I took her down to James, and it was decided that instead of James waiting for them in the taxi, he's start walking to the pier. Erin then drove the motorbike, she has never driven one, then we went back up to Erin and Shabana's place, then Erin and I went up to the pier to see when the boat from the Paradise would arrive. It was coming in just as we got there.

After seeing them all off, I went back to my parents place, and my dad tried the motorbike. He was kinda wobbly, but didn't fall. He decided to rent his own bike.

With two bikes, we went and scooted around the island. My mom hopped in my bike, as my dad didn't feel comfortable doubling anyone yet. My mom has NEVER been on a motorbike before, and was totally freaking out. After a while, she said to me, "I hate to admit this, but I'm actually enjoying this!" On our motorbike trip, we stopped at the main pier to check out boats to Krabi, there is one leaving at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

We headed back to the hotel about 3:00pm. Very warm. I showered, then my dad and I decided to zip up to the north pier and see if there's any boats to Krabi from there. There is, 150 baht/person, so we decided that's what we'd do. The north pier is quite a bit closer to our hotel.

Back to the hotel and had supper, and told the hotel staff lady that we were leaving, she asked us where we were going, then she made a few phone calls and came back and told us there were two boats, one from the north pier, one from the south pier. The north pier was 150 baht, the south was 350 baht. But the north pier boat goes to an old pier in Krabi, we'd then have to take a local bus down to the new Krabi pier. Alternatively, the boat from the south pier (which is the maiden voyage tomorrow!) goes direct to the new pier in Krabi, so we can just switch boats. We decided to do the latter.

Supper at the hotel was home made lasagna, amazing! After supper, we walked up the road to a pub (Teupee (?) Pub and Restaurant) and had a beer with the cool ocean breeze blowing on us. Very nice night.

Back to the hotel and to bed around 9:00pm.


We checked on a boat to Krabi from the main pier, there is one leaving at 8:30.

1 comment:

  1. following closely Todd, sounds interesting
    Careful in Burma/Myanmar!

    ReplyDelete