Sunday, February 24, 2008

Motorbike Accident

I woke up about 6:45, got up about 7:00. No Erin. I got dressed, went outside, Erin was in the pool, doing backflips and talking to a couple of guys. A bunch of people from the resort went to Had Rin beach last night and partied all night. She didn't sleep at all. She saw me, and told me the worst thing happened. Some girl accidentally deleted ALL the pictures on her camera! She was pretty upset, and very drunk and somewhat non comprehensible, especially when I told her we could probably recover the pictures from her memory card.

I went for a long walk along the beach and left the key with Erin. Cloudy today. After an hour of walking, I got caught in a downpour and took shelter under a palm tree, then had to move to am overhang of a restaurant for 30 minutes while the rains came down. It finally started to let up, so started walking back, it started to rain some more, so took shelter in an abondoned building by the beach. I found an old plastic bag to wrap up my camera, then continued walking back.

Got back to the hut, and Erin was not there and she had the key. I had breakfast, then lounged around the hut waiting for Erin. I needed to get back into my room, so asked the staff if they could open up. They grabbed their ring of keys and tried to open it, but couldn't find the key for our room. He said "Please wait one minute.", left, and came back with a bigass screwdriver. He broke into the hut for me, took him about 5 minutes. :-)

I hung out, read, used internet, etc. Erin finally showed up about 2:30, we rented motorbikes and went into town to get money, buy disposable cameras for tonight and look at getting Erin another memory card.

Erin was in a very crabby and crusty mood today. She was still kinda drunk, sleep deprived and quite out of it. All she said all day "What are we doing?"..."Why are we here?"..."I want to go back to Phi Phi.".....not pleasant. :-) I just ignored her. Haha.

We got back to the bungalow, I decided to ride around on my bike for a while. Headed toward Had Rin (town and beach where the full-moon party happens), and saw a sign to waterfalls, so decided to take that road. I then took another side road that looked interesting, started taking it, it was very steep. I turned around, and trying to go up the steep hill, the engine got starved of gas because of the steepness of the hill. I had to push the damn motorbike up the hill. I made it back to the road, then headed back towards the main road and filled up on gas, then went back to the original waterfall road. After about 2 km, the waterfall road turned into a dirt, mud road. The road was very hilly and steep, and I came up one section, slipping and sliding, then had to go back down the other side. I had full rear brake happening, but the tires are bare, and the bike just slid down the hill, I'm bouncing all over, going faster and faster. I started to freak out, then made the mistake and putting on my front brake about 3/4 of the way down the hill, and flipped the bike. As soon as I landed, I started laughing. I was completely covered in mud, the bike upside down above me. I would've loved to see that in slow motion! Especially the expressions on my face. Another guy on a motorbike stopped and asked me if I was alright, I told him ya, I was fine. He waited for me to get my bike down to the bottom of the hill and get it started. Then another guy in a pickup drove by and asked if I was ok, told him ya, then he offered to put the bike in the back of his pickup and drive me the rest of the way. I declined, told him I think I'll just turn around and go back, it was too crazy.

So, that's what I did. All I had to show of my accident was me and my bike covered in muck, and a couple of tiny scrapes on my legs.

I turned around, and almost wiped out again going back down the other side of the hill. I finally made it back to the paved road, and continued on to Had Rin. The drive to Had Rin is pretty impressive, very hilly, the bike would barely make it up some of the hills and there was some impressive views.

Made it back to the bungalows around 5:00, I had supper, and Erin and I napped before the full-moon party. I had trouble waking Erin up, she was out. I played some pool with some British guys, then about 11:00, the taxi came to take us all to the full-moon party.

Full-moon party stories to follow in the next entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment