Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lost my Camera. :-(

Up at around 7:00am, packed and went and waited for the songthaew. He picked us up about 8:00 and took us to the pier. Buddy at the pier asked as where we were going when we got to Krabi, I told him to Koh Phi Phi, he said "Ew....boat leave for Koh Phi Phi at 10:00." We might not make it. He said he'd call ahead and have the boat to Koh Phi Phi wait for us.

This is the first run on this route today. Hopefully no icebergs. They played a Scorpions live DVD on the tv during the trip.

The boat trip was about 1:45. The boat to Koh Phi Phi was waiting for us when we arrived, so we hopped off and hopped on the other boat and it started to get ready to go. Meanwhile, another boat full of farang came up and just after we left the pier, locals started yelling, more backpackers wanted on the boat to Koh Phi Phi. So, the captain circled around and loaded everyone else on, then we left at 10:30.

Uneventful boat ride. Got to Koh Phi Phi about noonish. Once there, we unloaded and started trekking through all the touts trying to get people to come to their guest houses. We ignored them all, we knew we were going to PP Casita. Along the way, some of the dive shops were handing out brochures with a map of the town, showing a lot of the hotels and guest houses. I picked one up, and asked the chick where the PP Casita was. She had heard of it, but couldn't place it immediately. Then we say in the top right, which jogged her memory, she told us to walk until we hit Island Divers, then turn left. She said it was about a 12 minute walk. When we hit Island Divers, more hot chicks sitting out handing out maps, I asked once again which direction the PP Casita was, and she pointed me left, told me to keep going, then go right, then left. That's exactly how it looks on the map too! She mentioned it was about 10 minutes.

So, we kept walking. Blistering hot. My parents had to stop and rest a few times in the heat. We finally made it, and my dad had trouble with his reservation. He never did get a confirmation from the website he booked through, so they didn't have his reservation. He got all grouchy (because of the reservation thing and because their Visa machine wasn't working, and they didn't have any money to pay cash for the room, so they had to find a bank machine), and they ended up getting a A/C bungalow for 2000 baht a night (they had originally tried to reserve a fan room for 1000 baht).

While they checked in, I tried the Rock Backpacker, and it was full. I asked at a few other places near there, they all wanted too much (600 baht or more). Finally found a place, Moon Light Guest House, 500 baht for a tiny hole, fan and shared bath. Fine for me.

I went back to my parents, saw their place, then showed them my awesome room. My mom was like, "Oh my God. How can you stay in a place like this?" My dad thought it was awesome, because the sheets were clean. He said he stayed in worse places in India.

We walked around a bit, my dad found a place selling wireless internet, then he went back to the bungalow to play on the internet, and my mom and I walked to the beach and then went shopping. I bought a pair of crocs (much nicer than flip-flops) and a cool, long sleeve shirt, for sun protection. Then, I lost my camera. When I realized I didn't have it, I immediately retraced my steps, stopping at all the places I had stopped it, but it was nowhere to be found. I believe that I took it off when I was trying on shirts, and forgot to pick it up. None of the shopkeers had seen it. We searched over and over, and I started looking at other peoples camera cases, thinking somebody stole it. Ugh! That sucks!

Anyway, my parents have three (3!) cameras, so I took my moms camera (my old one, I sold it to her last year). My dad has a bunch of memory cards for it too. So, I'm back in business, but still, all the pictures I had taken already, gone. I'll file a police reports, for insurance purposes, hopefully I can get it replaced when I get back to Canada.

That evening, mom, dad and I went to an all-you-can-eat BBQ supper at a restaurant, they had chicken kabobs, sausage, salmon, baked potatoes, lots of salads. Very good.

I think I retired to my tiny hole about 9:00, read for a while, then went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment