Sunday, February 24, 2008

Off too Krabi

When Erin got back to the hut, she said to set the alarm so we can checkout today. I set it for 10:00. I wasn't tired, and couldn't sleep, so around 9:00, got up, and took my motorbike into the jungle to clean it up. It was covered in mud from my accident and wanted to clean the evidence off. After I found a secluded spot and started cleaning it, it started raining, and I had to drive the motorbike back in the driving rain. I was soaked.

At 10:00, my alarm went, and I tried to wake Erin. She wasn't budging. I gave her another 15 minutes, and tried again. Out like a light. Another 5 minutes. Got a moan from her, and she said 10 more minutes. At 10:30, I forced her to get up. Once up, I asked her if she had arranged a transfer to Krabi last yesterday (I had asked her to, as I was going motorbike riding). No, she didn't, so I went and made sure we could get boat and bus to Krabi, which wasn't a problem.

We checked out and waited for the taxi to the pier, and talk about a mass exodus! It seems everyone was leaving the island immediately after the full-moon party. Lots of people still had glow-in-the-dark paint on them, and everyone looked hungover and tired. It was quite a sight.

The boat was packed to the rafters. They even had to turn away people because the boat was full. All the seats were taken, everyone was standing outside, trying to find a spot out of the wind and rain. We got to Surat Thani, and the bus company had 7 busses coming to bus everyone to their destinations. They kind of pressured us to reserve a place in Krabi right there, because there were so many tourists going to Krabi. I had the guy call the Chan Cha Lay Guest House and see if they had rooms, but they were full, so we bought this guys room, 450 baht/night. On the boat, I was sitting on the deck, another guy was sitting on a little ledge, his head in his hands, trying to sleep. He then fell over right on top of me before waking up. He had a dazed look in his eyes, he didn't know where he was, until he came out of his sleep and realized what had happened. He apologized. It was pretty funny.

When our bus finally arrived, it was overbooked. There were three people left standing, me, Erin and another guy. The tour company manager told Erin and me to move to a minivan instead, which we did. A number of others eventually joined us in the mini-van, and off we were. Our big backpacks were on the main bus, we hoped we were all going to the same destination!

It poured and poured the whole way from Surat Thani to Krabi. Thunder, lightning, rain. At one point, the highway was even submerged in about 12 inches of water, cars were stopped with their flashers on.

We got to Krabi around 8:00pm, and the big bus with our backpacks arrived about 20 minutes later. We hopped into the back of a pick-up and were whisked away to our guest house, P. Guest House. Ok guest house. When I saw it, it brought back memories, I'm sure that Courtney and I stayed there for one night 5 years ago before moving to the Chan Cha Lay.

We had supper and were in bed by 10:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment