Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Off to the Island

Erin and I got woken up before 6:00am by Courtney, telling us to get up. We had a flight at 10:50am to Phuket. We had planned on leaving at 8:30 for the airport. Shortly later, Chris came into the room, Jenny (the Thai ladyboy who works the night counter at the hotel) told him we should leave at 7:30 because of traffic.

We got up, I walked to my parents hotel to warn them. It was raining this morning. Back to room, showered and packed, then we all split into groups and took a taxi to the airport. Our taxi driver was crazy, driving 140km/hour along the expressway, tailgating every car, only inches away. My mom didn't say anything, but she told me later she was totally freaking out.

We got the airport about 8:30, lots of spare time, and our flight was delayed by almost an hour.

Flight was unventful. At Phuket, we hired a minivan to take us to the pier. Rob and Colleen took taxi, only room for 10 in the minivan. We made it just in time for the 2:30 boat to Koh Yao Noi. It was about a 1 hour boat ride, got to Koh Yao Noi and we hopped on a songthaew to take us to accomodations. Parents reserved at Sabai Corner, me and James tried Coconut Corner, but was full. We asked the Coconut Corner dude about other places near, he mentioned Koh Yao Chukit, 400 baht. Songthaew driver called and they had rooms. We weren't sure where everyone else was staying.

We got settled in, then walked back along the beach to Sabai Corner and met my parents on the way.

Incidentally, there's lots of tsunami warning signs all over, telling people to go to high ground and showing evacution routes.

We went to parents place for supper, I had barracuda steak steamed in a lemon juice. It was AMAZING!

Found out road to Paradise is horrendous. We decided we need to take a boat up there instead. We probably won't see anyone else either, so the four of us will go it alone.

James and I walked back to our hut, we were wiped. I went to bed about 8:00pm.

Mom mentioned she doesn't like their place. She see our place and likes it better! And it's less than half the cost. My parents have a squatter toilet. Harhar!

No comments:

Post a Comment