Sunday, November 09, 2003

Gagaju. Cool!!

Up at 6:10, woke Kristin up at 6:20. I scared her half to death, I was on top, and reached down over my bed to poke her. When she woke up, all she saw was my arm, and thought it was a snake. Hahahaha!

We walked to the bus terminal about 6:50 and got on bus. We started on our own seats, but sat beside each other when we picked up more people later on.

Changed buses in Brisbane. Got to Noosa at 11:30, Gagaju bus wasn't there. We waited. Nothing. Tried calling Gagaju, no answer. Called Travel Bugs, they eventually got a hold of them, and called us back to let us know that they were on the way. They arrived about 12:45, we loaded our stuff on the minibus, they had two other buses to wait for, so they took us to the grocery store, we stocked up on groceries and played on kids rides and they came back and picked us up about 1:55.

Got to Gagaju Bush camp about 2:30. Way cool! Very "campy", we sleep in army dorm tents in the bush.

About 3:15, Kristin and I walked to the rock quarry pools, small lakes formed in a rock quarry, some of them are mud pools. 45 minute walk. I convinced Kristin to get all muddy, she didn't want to at first, so I threw mud at her. Afterwards she was glad she did it. Then we washed off and swam in a clear pool. You can only swim here on the weekends, when they aren't working the quarry. It was fun!

Walked back to the camp via the road about 4:05, had a shower (showers were shared with a public campground next to us, 20 cents for about 2 minutes of hot water), then Kristin made supper, chicken pasta, delicious, once again.

After supper, Kristin napped, I tore apart my backpack looking for a 2nd battery for my flashlight. As I was doing that, someone came into the dorm room and said there was a big snake outside. I grabbed my camera to look. It was HUGE! Probably 1.5-2 metres long, perhaps 1.5-2 inches in diameter. It was moving really slow, just minding it's own business, slithering through the camp. It was a carpet viper.

Finished packing, wrote in journal. We made some sandwiches for tomorrow. Sat around and had a couple of drinks in the cool common area, around the campfire, and to bed about 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment