Thursday, March 27, 2008

Similan Islands Diving Trip, Day 4

Got woken up at 6:30 by Stefano and his bell, "Good Morning, Good Morning", in an annoyingly friendly Italian accent. I was soooooo tired. Had toast and tea, then the morning briefing. We're diving Richelieu Rock, one of the top 10 dive sites in the world. IMHO, it wasn't amazing, but probably because tons of other boats and divers. 11 boats, including our own, were here. Visibility wasn't all that awesome. I did have 57 minutes bottom time, however. 60 minutes is the max.

After the dive, had breakfast. Because of my 57 minutes dive time, I was one of the last ones there and got the shit sausages.

The second dive was at the same location. Saw a huge school of barracuda. Awesome.

Had lunch, then I crashed, laying on the bench in the lunch area for 2-3 hours. When I woke up, Amy (?), another dive master, and Seth's wife, laughed and said "Good morning" to me. She was just writing up the dive briefing for dive three, at Ta Chai Plateau.

Cool diving here, lots of huge boulders, very strong current, it was hard to swim against it. Everyone was holding on to the mooring rope, and being horizontal from the strong current. Afterwards, an Aussie guy on the our boat remarked that there were a bunch of Japanese divers from another boat hanging on to our mooring rope for dear life, their eyes super wide.

After the dive, had a snack, then took the dinghy to a beautiful white coral sand beach on Koh Ta Chai. There was a small black-tipped reef shark swimming around near shore.

I backed out of the night dive tonight, I'm completely exhausted. Andrea, Don and Katrin are not doing it either, so I feel better with my decision. Alexa (German/Austrian/Italian girl) and Katrin invited me to go up to Ranong and Koh Chang with them after the dive trip.

Lounged around while the others did their night dive, and had an awesome supper. After supper, we watched the first part of Tom's video he's doing of the trip. Tom is the official videographer for the company, and he does a hi-def DVD of all the trips, which you can buy afterwards for 3000 baht.

To bed about 9:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment