Sunday, March 23, 2008

Relaxing Beach Day

Up about 8:00, slept awesome. Walked over to Happy Lagoon Bungalows and took a look at the 600 baht rooms. I took one in the 6 unit motel style building, with a verandah out front. This room is even bigger than the one at Sri Guest House.

On the walk back to Sri to get my backpack, I stopped at a cafe for breakfast, then packed and checked out and took my stuff to my new place.

Went to the internet and e-mailed Sunrise Divers telling them where I am staying, so I can get a pickup for the dive trip on the 25th. Then I did a search for my dive boat name (Dolphin Queen) and found out that the company that runs that boat is literally right beside Happy Lagoon. They're called Similan Diving Safaris. I stopped in, they had my name on the list, so I filled out all the paperwork and got all my questions answered. I also asked about underwater camera's, I'm thinking I'll want one. They have a regular film camera, and also an underwater digital camera designed for diving, it has a plastic houseing around it. Most "underwater" digital cameras are more designed for snorkelling, and not for diving depths. Alternatively, I can rent a camera on board the boat for 1500/day and I can also buy a DVD of the trip for 3000 baht. Presumably I could find other people on the boat to split the cost of a DVD and we could just make copies of the DVD.

After that, went to the beach and swam, layed (laid?) around, had lunch at a beach restaurant, swam, laid (layed?) around.

About 2:0, headed back to the room and showered. There was a white cat sleeping on my verandah underneath one of the chairs. After I got out of the shower, she had moved up onto one of the chairs. I patted her, and she became my new best friend, and wouldn't leave me alone. I ignored her and wrote in my journal.

Thunderstorm rolled in later in the afternoon, cool lightning and thunder.

Went to Happy Lagoon restaurant for supper.

There are soooo many families in Khao Lak. Families with infants, families with kids, families with teenagers, it's crazy. And 80% of the kids have blonde hair. Someone told me that there's a direct flight from Sweden (I think, might have been Denmark) to Krabi. That would explain all the blonde's in the area. And there's a lot of older people staying in the beach resorts.

Khao Lak is like the Cancun of Thailand. Huge resorts with big restaurants, swimming pools, bars, and all the other amenities provided so their guests don't even need to leave the resorts. I've not really seen this in any other place in Thailand.

Still super tired from two nights ago, and went to bed about 9:00.

1 comment: