Friday, October 31, 2003

Halloween! (Well, not for me.)

Woke up about 5:00AM because of a rooster. It sounded like it was sitting outside my window, cocking.

Laid in bed until about 6:30, got up, got dressed, went outside and sure enough, a rooster tied to the balcony of the bungalow next to mine. Why??? Why would the bungalow operators tie a rooster up to one of the bungalows?

I went downstairs for breakfast, and on my way back up to my room, as I was walking past the rooster, it got scared and started freaking out, and a naked chick, holding a bath towel in front of her, opened the door. I asked her if that was her rooster, and she said it was. I wasn't quite exactly sure what to say to a nake chick with a rooster, so I just said, "Why do you have a rooster?". She grinned and simply replied, "Why not?" What could I say...I shrugged my shoulders and went to my room to pack. When I left, she was sitting outside, clothed now, unfortunately, holding the rooster. She got it at a market, she named it, what sounded like "carcrash", which is the Hungarian word for rooster, so I assume she's Hungarian. She travels with it, it's her alarm clock, wakes her up for the sunrise. Bizarre!

Paid for my room, walked to the ferry dock, the gateman asked for my ticket and wanted 300 rupiah for the harbour tax. He looked at my ticket and it was no good, and I had to buy a new ticket from the there to Mataram, and he told me I could go to the office of the company of my other ticket and get a refund. The new ticket was 125,000, but all I had to my name was 120,000, so got it for that price. I got on the ferry with absolutely no money. Guess there's no worry about getting robbed. I still think this ticket business is a scam, to bring business to the travel agents in Labuan Bajo, but what can I do?

Assuming I can get a redund for my other ticket, it works better this way anyway. I arrive in Mataram tomorrow morning, about 7:00, and I can spend the whole day there, getting my refund, using the way cheap internet, organize a shuttle for Sunday to Bali. I'll spend the night in Mataram.

Got in the ferry, and it has a sattelite dish. When I got on, they were showing an english movie (not sure what), after we started moving, they changed it to an Indonesian channel. Throughout the eight hour ride, kept flipping between English and Indonesian channels.

It's a big ferry, and, once again, I'm the only tourist on board.

Goit to Sape about 4:45, and took a crap public bus to Bima, then from there, on an A/C bus to Mataram.

At Bima, found someone who would exchange some rupiah for $2US I had laying around, so I could at least buy some water and snacks.

Bus left at 7:15, I'm the only tourist, once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment