Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Keli Mutu - Three Coloured Lakes

Up at 3:30, and waited for the bemo to pick me up at 4:00. Ilse and Martin went yesterday, and they were the only tourists on the bemo. There were about 15 tourists on my bemo!

Got to the parking lot about 4:45, then it was a short 10-15 hike to the viewing platform.

The first lake is black, the second an incredible turqouise blue with green streaks, the third is black.

I hung around while the sun rose, then about 6:40, walked back to the parking lot, stopping at the first lake lookout to see if the sun shining on it would change it's colour. With sunlight, the lake was what I'd call diahrea brown (Martin called it chocolate brown). Only the third, black lake had any transparency to it.

Back to the parking lot, and the bemo took me (all the other tourists walked back) back to the bungalows. I didn't walk back, because I was afraid of missing my bus to Bajawa. It's a 2.5-4 hour walk back.

Went to the local market behind the bungalows with a group of students from Ende staying at our bungalows. We watched a medicine man doing "things". He made a piece of crumpled up newspaper start on fire by itself.

Back to my room about 8:40 to pack, collect my laundry (30,000 rupiah), etc. Laundry was hand washed, and still kind of smells.

Waited for the bus

Bus came shortly after 11:00. I was surprised we actually had seats! We had paid extra to have three seats reserved for us, and sure enough, we got them! We then picked up two more tourists back on the road, then told two tourists we were too full, then picked up two more tourists.

Ride was uneventful. Bought a boiled egg from an old lady through the window of the bus at one stop. Ilse and Martin thought I was buying a raw egg, and couldn't figure out why in the world I'd be buying a raw egg.

Got to Bajawa about 5:10, dropped off at the hotel where we asked to me left at (Hotel Korina, where I wanted to go the first time I was here), and they were full. Checked out the hotel across the street, full. Walked to another hotel. Full. So, back to the hotel I stayed at the other night, and they recognized me, and they had rooms. He gave me a single room for 50,000. Martin and Ilse stayed here too, paying only 65,000 for a double.

Martin, Ilse and me booked a tour to the red lakes, traditional villages and the hot springs for tomorrow, with Max, 100,000/person. Max needs five people, so he's going to try to find two more.

We found out there's a political party conference going on in Bajawa, that's why all the hotels are full. Also heard about the political fighting in Bali, between two parties, stone throwing and stuff, four people killed.

Three of us went to Lukas Restaurant for supper. Back to room about 8:30 and to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment