Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Gili Trawangan

Up about 7:00, and tried to listen to my MP3 player, and it's screwed. It would turn on for a second, then off, then on, then off, then on, then off. It was plugged into the wall outlet all night, so I unplugged it and tried to turn it on. Nothing at all. Plugged it in again, acting all wonky. Finally got it going after unplugging the octopus from the electrical outlet, and turning the ceiling fan off, which is running off the same outlet. With the ceiling fan running, the current isn't stable, and it ended up draining my batter completely. I hope it didn't destroy the battery in my MP3 player.

Shortly after 8:00, went down for breakfast and checked out, and the bus to Gili Trawangan picked me up at 8:30 and took me to Bangsali (?) port, got taken to the tourist company I had booked with, and waited there with the locals. Had an iced coffee and learned how to play the card game all the locals play, Jendral. Gave away the rest of my Canada, Saskatchewan and Moose Jaw pins to the locals.

About 10:00, walked down to the boat office and had to wait until the boat was full before it will leave...no set schedules.

One other tourist waiting with me, and he's carrying around a sports jacket, for warmth. Oh brother!

About 10:40, the boat had enough people, so we all jumped on the public boat, with a bunch of food supplies destined for the island. All locals except for me and the Norwegian guy with the sports jacket.

It was a scary boat ride! The boat had no bamboo stabilizers on it (as most of the boats do), and there were huge swells, I was actually frightened! And I don't get scared off of stuff like that. I was concerned it was going to capsize. Huge waves would crash over the boat, soaking everyone. I was also concerned my camera and MP3 player would get wet and stop functioning from all the water coming into the boat. Most of the locals didn't seem to be concerned, so my concern was probably not warranted.

Got to the island fine, if quite wet. I had to wade through chest high water to get to shore, holding my backpack above my head. A horse carriage took me to a cheap but very nice and clean bungalow, 30,000/night. I have a double bed and a single bed.

The horse taxi then took me to Big Bubble dive shop, and I signed up to dive with them tomorrow. Someone else on Bali had recommended Big Bubble as well. I dive tomorrow at a place caleld Shark Point, and I should see sharks and turtles.

There are no motorized vehicles on the island. You either walk, rent a push bike, or hire a horse drawn carriage. I assume Gili Meno and Gili Air are the same same.

Went back to the room and showered and changed clothes.

Then went to an Aussie run restaurant and had an awesome bacon and cheese burger.

Then back to the room, picked up my camera and walked around the island. Before I left town, ran into the chick that we had met on the trek when we were going up and she was coming down. Then proceeded to walk around the island. Took my about 1.5 hours.

Went back to the room, dropped off camera and hit an internet. Expensive internet, 400/minute.

Gili Trawangan is not as impressive as everyone says. Most of the island is unsuitable for swimming, as it is surrounded by a rocky, dead coral reef that goes from the "beach" to the waters edge. I put beach in quotes, because the beach is generally unsuitable for sunbathing, consisting mostly of hard, dead coral, making it not good for laying on and difficult to walk on. Only a small stretch near the north end of the townsite is kind of suitable for swimming and sunbathing. I dunno, maybe this goes back to my thoughts about not being impressed by stuff anymore. I've seen way better beaches and islands in Thailand. If I hadn't travelled SE Asia, maybe I would be impressed by this. The island is very dry too, not much vegetation, brown and dusty and dirty, and windy too. The coral beach problem is probably due to the El Nino effect that killed all the coral last decade...over time, it will get eroded to a nice, fine, white sand, then it will be spectacular, I'm sure.

Sat around, wrote in journal, showered, about 5:45 went to Blue Marlin Cafe for supper and watched the Italy versus Canada rugby world cup match. Canada was supposed to get their asses kicked by the Italian squad, but Canada played very well, still lost 19-14, but they could've won, except for missed kicks.

Walked around downtown for a bit, met a local who thought my Thai Red Bull shirt was a Canadian shirt. I chatted with him, he wanted me to meet him at the Irish Pub at 8:30, where he was to meet two Canadian girls, and he didn't want to go alone. I told him I would.

Went back to the room, finished reading one of teh books Louisa gave me, "Life of Pi", awesome book about a 16-year old Indian boy who gets stranded in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger, a hyena, a zebra and an orangutan. Excellent read!

Just as I finished, two Austrian girls next to me came along, we talked for more than two hours, then Sandra and I went to teh Irish pub about 10:30 (Bridget went to bed), and we had a few, then about midnight we went home. Never saw the local that I was supposed to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment