Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Red Lakes and Hot Springs

Up at 6:30, had breakfast about 7:15, then to the internet. Crap! It keeps disconnecting and having to redial, and SLOW, and myrealbox.com is down. I did manage to send an e-mail to parents and Courtney and Kristin with my canada.com account, letting everyone now I was still alive. I then called Air Paradise International and got my flight back to Sydney changed to Sunday night, Nov. 2.

Back to the hotel, Max, our guide had picked up two others for the tour. They're also staying at our hotel. Darcel and Cindy from Saskatoon! Darcel is a police officer in Saskatoon and knows cops in Moose Jaw. He asked if I knew Rick McKenna (I do), so he had me send an e-mail to Rick, making a joke remark, saying that Darcel wants to know if Rick is still queer. It's a small world!

Left on our trip at 9:00, went to Wawomudha Red Lakes, four blood-red lakes created by an eruption on Jan. 7, 2001. Way cool!! This was better than the three-coloured lakes, I thought.

Along the way, he showed us vanilla vines, clove trees, and where they get cinnamon from (the bark of a tree!), and cocoa and coffee.

Then to two traditional villages, Bena, a touristy one, and Luba, a non-touristy one. Yawn.

Then to town for a traditional lunch at Max's sisters' house. Quite tasty. Then to the hot springs near Soa. WOW! Very nice! so clean and clear, way better than the gross hot water springs on Mount Rinjani. I brought my shampoo and soap and bathed, it was nice and relaxing.

We got back to the hotel about 7:15, paid Max, then I booked the bus back to Labuan Bajo for tomorrow morning. The other four booked a bus to Ruteng.

The five of us then went to Borobudur Restaurant for breakfast, then back to the room about 10:00 and to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment