Monday, July 21, 2003

Island Hopping

Slept good in my silk sleeping sheets (thanks Darren). The resort doesn't offer bedding sheets, so I'm glad I took mine.

Up at 8:15, had breakfast, signed up for the island hopping tour ($35).

Chris, Ian, Shelley and X (not sure of her name...the prissy Mormon) signed up as well, then Chris backed out, to do a traditional medicine walk with the local medicine man.

Back in the dorm, as I was sitting reading my Let's Go, I felt something on my foot. Thinking it was a fly or something, I twitched my foot. It was still there, I looked down, there was a small lizard on my foot!! He then ventured off my foot and scurried away!

Got on the island hopping boat at 10:30, a small fibreglass boat with a 70hp outboard. There were 9 of us on the tour, plus our guide and the driver. First to Plantation Island, stopped at Plantation Island resort. Very nice!!! Walked around the resort and the shops, bought a chocolate bar, then we walked to Musket Cove Resort, on the same island. Musket Cove has a nice harbour area for sailing ships to anchor and stay. One of the sailing ships was from Victoria, BC, Canada. Both resort would probably run over $500/night, perhaps over $1000/night or more. Swam in the pool at Musket Cove, some of us ordered a cocktail. I had a Coco Colada, served in a coconut; cost $12.00. Then we had a BBQ (chops, sausages, bread, included in the island hopping trip price), then lounged around the island. Had two ice cream treats ($2.50 each). Yummmm!!!!! (Not sure why I'm giving exact pricing of everything...it's just what I wrote in my journal.)

About 2:45, took the boat to Honeymoon Island, a small, uninhabited island, to do some swimming and snorkelling (had to rent equipment; $10.00). About 3:50, headed back to Mana.

Nice day, warm, partly cloudy, with patches of high cloud and for the first time, not much wind, relatively calm!

Back to Mana about 4:15, showered, read Let's Go, then sat around and waited for supper with the boat people from today.

Supper was good, stew with boiled potatoes.

After supper, at 7:30, the local school kids put on a song and dance, for 30 minutes, then solicited donations to raise money for the school. They raised just over $100 from us. They do this every Monday at the backpacker resort.

We played cards after that, waiting for the beach bonfire, but the wind picked up and they had to cancel the bonfire, for the second straight night.

To bed shortly after 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment