Friday, July 04, 2003

Imax!

I forgot to tell ya, on Tuesday, I ran into a girl with a maple leaf on her shirt, and started talking to her a little bit. She was from Toronto (just outside Toronto, I think). Oli, the impromptu social director at the Funkhosue, has a tab at the World Bar, and for the 2nd week in a row, he was going to buy a drink for every person from the Funkhosue that came to the World Bar. So, me, the girl from Toronto, and the girl she's travelling with made it a Canada Day party as well. I wore my Canada hat, she had her maple leaf/CAnada shirt, and her friend, well, she just wore read. They met up with another Canadian guy at the bar as well. The stupid DJ wouldn't play an Canadian music, though. I requested some Celine Dion, or any other Canadian music, but he told me Canadian music sucks! And he wouldn't play it! Oh well.

So, the old Italian guy left Wednesday morning, and I slept in peace and quiet Wednesday night. Slept awesome. Yesterday morning, I went back to the room about 11:30 to get something, and there was a blob laying on the other bed in the room. It was the Italian guy again! What the hell is he doing back?? Actually, that's a lie, all I saw was a head of long, blonde hair. It was sleeping, so I quickly grabbed what I wanted and left again.

I went to the Imax theatre for the afternoon and saw two movies. They show both 2D and 3D (with the special funky glasses...no, not the red/blue ones). Anyone that was at the Canadian pavillion at Expo 86 in Vancouver knows the 3D Imax experience I'm talking about...the Imax experience (in 3D) was first shown at the Canadian pavillion at Expo 86. Anyway, at the Imax, one 2D movie is $16, a 3D movie is $17. Expensive! But, you can see any two movies in one day for only $21! So, that's what I did. I saw Adrenaline Rush, The Science of Risk. It was pretty neat, about risking your life doing crazy things like cliff jumping in Norway and skydiving and stuff. It was pretty neat. Then I saw Space Station 3D (which was a 3D movie, for the stupid ones out there). They hand out those funky glasses. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This was amazing!!! Seeing an Imax movie in 3D is the REAL Imax Experience! It was amazing!! The views from outer space, the space station, the rocket and shuttle launches (both Russian and American). I even got a tear in my eye at one point. The movie chronicles the building of the international space station, and the people living on it. At one point in the movie, it's Christmas time, and their playing Christmas music on the space station, and the American resident on the station is talking about missing Christmas, being away from his friends and family. I drew a direct parallel between him and me...Barring anything unforseen, I'll spending Christmas away from my family this year, and it made me miss "being home", as I imagined spending Christmas on the other side of the planet this year. Boohoo! Anyway, seeing an Imax movie is 3D is amazingly cool!!!!

Last evening, I went to a comedy night in Paramatta. A "party bus" stops in Kings Cross and picks up backpackers from all the hostels there. 4 of us went from the Funkhouse. Unbeknownst to me, Paramatta is a different city...it took about 45 minute bus drive outside of Sydney to Paramatta to the bar there. It was a free bus trip, free entry to the comedy night, and a free bus ride back. The comedy night was pretty good, apparently not as good as last week, though. They have comedians, but they also have a host that gets audience participation happening, getting people from the audience to come up and do all sorts of crazy things. One game that's played is called the Mars bar race. Two guys and two girls have to go up on stage, and they pair off into two guy/girl couples. The idea is, each couple is given a Mars bar, and the girl has to feed the Mars bar up the pant leg of the guys' pants, through the crotch, and down the other pant leg. Anyway, the comedians were very funny, and it was a fun night.

When we got back to the hostel (about 1:15, I think), the light was on in the room, I went in, and Trudy was laying in bed, reading a magazine. She's from New Zealand, we talked for about 30 minutes or so, then to bed.

This morning, I checked out of the Funkhouse and moved to Big for the night. It's close to Central Station, so it's quick and easy for me to catch an early train (5:15AM) to the airport, for my flight. The shuttle busses to the airport don't start running until about 5:45, which is too late for me. Court had sent me a text this morning telling me there's a big party at Big tonight as well. It's $24.50/night here.

So, I'm at Big right now. It's nice and new, but very, very drab. Just a dullish gray/white paint job all over, almost a downer, especially compared to the wild and bright colours and paint jobs at the Funkhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment