Sunday, July 13, 2003

Hula!!

Got up about 7:30, checked at reception, they had a bed for me in a dorm. I went upstairs, into the room, it's a big room, about 12 beds or more, and everyone in the room is female!! I'm sleeping with 11 other women. Hahaha. At first, I though, "Geeze, am I in the right room?"

I went to bed, and slept until about 10:00, got up and showered and walked to town (about 30 minutes) with Erica from Edmonton, and Anna and Kim from Melbourne.

Everyone very friendly, exclaiming "Bula!" as you walk down the streets. (Bula means Welcome). Some shope owners are kind of pushy about getting you into their store, but typically very friendly. I got offered to buy weed twice so far.

Bought some new flip-flops.

There's lots of people by the side of the road selling fruits, vegetables and live chickens and ducks. Very reminiscent of parts of SE Asia, but a lot more expensive (maybe a tad cheaper than Canada, but not much), but is supposed to be the cheapest island in the South Pacific.

Browsed around town for a while, lots of shops closed on Sunday, but some are open because a huge cruise ship (2000 people) from Australia is here today. It's very touristy in Nadi.

We walked back to the hotel, stopping at McDonalds for lunch, then I wrote my journal, and walked back to town to use the internet. Internet prices vary wildly, from about $3/hour to $10/hour or more (I'm talking Fiji dollars here). The $3/hour one was closed up by the time I got back, so I found a $4/hour one I'm at right now.

BTW, my e-mail provider is all wonky (installed a new version of their software, and it's not working well), so I've been able to read some of the e-mails from you guys (Scott, Kristin, Anna, parents), but can't reply. Plus the cost of internet is very high, I may not be doing that much e-mailing and/or journal entries that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment