Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Rafting Expedition - Day 7

Up about 6:15, wonderful sleep. I wasn't too hot last night, unlike the other nights. I learned the best way to sleep in the sleeping bag, with the zipper on top, and unzipped most of the way. That let the heat escape.

Breakfast was banana porridge, toast and boiled eggs.

Packed the rafts and left about 9:30, I think.

The rafting was not nearly as exciting as yesterday. Not as much white water, nt as big, and ots of flat spots between the whitewater. Yesterday was full-on white-water.

A few of us went swimming in the morning, jumping off the raft. The water was cold, but warmer than it was further upp, and once you got in, it wasn't too bad.

Stopped for lunch at one point, and I ate like a pig again.

Continued on, the wind really started picking up, blowing upstream. We had to paddle hard, just to keep the wnd from blowing the raft back upstream. When we stopped, the raft would slowly go backwards.

We stopped about 4:00, I suppose. I bathed for the first time in 7 days! Woohoo! The water was cold, but bearable cold.

Lots of fisherman on the river, with fishing rods (bamboo sticks) or fishing nets.

I got to captain the raft for an hour or so today, giving orders..."All forward!"..."Stop", or when we got stuck on a rock, "Jump right!" If there was only one rock sticking out in the whole river, I was sure to find it and get stick on it! I even got to shoot a number of rapids as the bossman. It was great. I got the nickname "Rock Magnet" from Shaun.

To bed about 8:30.

The locals were totally fascinated with our expedition. They would sit and watch for hours as we set up camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment