Monday, April 04, 2005

Never Stand Downwind of a Camel!!!

Slept awesome in the desert. Satar and Jien were up first and started breakast. I got up shortly afterwards. The sun had quite come over the horizon yet. Breakfast was toast with jam and omelette and porridge.

As we were eating, the German tourist visited, and I found out then that when Jien had gone to get beer and coke the night before, he stopped off at the German tourist and his guide and offered to bring back some beers for them too. But Jien accidentally broke one of the beers, it was too dark!!

By the way, the German tourist had a live chicken with him. His guide butchered the chicken last night for supper.

We saddled up and left, me and Satar on M.J., Jien on J.J. I think it was about 7:30. The temperature is night at night, not to hot not to cool.

Satar liked my watch. I let him wear it for the rest of the day.

We rode fairly fast all morning, stopping for camel water in a town along the way, then a 2nd stop at a watering hole in the desert.

We stopped for lunch, I dunno, maybe 11:00. So hot. Very windy today too. You may think that is a blessing, but it's not! The wind is like a furnace, blowing super-heated desert air into the already too hot shady air...it sucks!

We stayed under the tree for many hours, until maybe 3:00, then did a short half hour jump to our pickup point.

Unfortuntely, the pickup wasn't there yet. He was supposed to be there between 4:00 and 5:00...we were a little early. As we waited (in the shade), German buddy and his guide passed on camels, heading to their pickup point.

My pickup finally arrived about 5:15. Late, but at least he showed. I said goodbye to my guides, they were awesome, and headed back into town.

Back to the room. I wnated to have a cold shower, but even the cold water was warm. I let it run for about 10 minutes (wasting water in a desert!) and it started to get cool.

Went upstairs for supper, got water with a huge chunk of ice in it. YES!!!!

Wrote in journal and listened to music the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment