Saturday, April 02, 2005

Jaisalmer

Got my 9:45pm bus to Jaisalmer. Long, but it wasn't painful. The road was fine. After a while, one just gets used to sleeping in busses.

As dawn broke, I could tell we were getting into more desert, arid land. Lots of peacocks in this area of India.

The bus finally made it to Jaisalmer about 10:45am. I checed into the Henna Hotel (new)...what got me was the big-ass air conditioner in the room. I was thinking of getting an A/C room anyway. The rooftop restaurant has a grand view of the fort as well.

Booked a 2-day "non-touristy" camel/jeep safari for tomorrow. It goes way out, near the Pakistan border. There's a guy from Norway going on the safari as well tomorrow.

Started walking around town to get my bearings. It's easy to get lost here! Went looking for a restaurant that my Let's Go says serves Western food. Got there and it was closed for the afternoon. Bugger. Kept walking in the heat...dumb idea. I remember stopping for a bottle of water at a restaurant, and it was COLD. I had a drink and got immediate brain freeze. It felt so good. Had another gulp. Brain freeze! Over and over...it felt nice. I've never had such cold water in India yet!

Went looking for Crown Tours, as they are apparently the only Air India booking agent in town, but couldn't find it. It doesn't exist, or my map is wrong. I was going to see about flying from here to Delhi, then on to Kathmandu. Guess that won't be happening now.

It is blistering hot.

Back to my room, almost starving to death. Ordered spaghetti in cream sauce. Delicious. Ate it in my comfortable A/C room. (Well, ate half of it...my stomach was very tiny from not eating much the last few days, so couldn't fit much in it).

Went to bed early, my safari starts at 7:30am tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment