Tuesday, April 05, 2005

In and Around Jaisalmer

Up about 8:00, walked around the outside of the fort to find an ATM to get cash. My bank card doesn't work over here. But my Mastercard does, so it's all good. Then did a quick walk through the fort.

Walked back to the hotel and got a tuk-tuk to the train station to book a train back to Delhi. Holy slow! The lineup, that is! It took the train attendant guy about 10 minutes to process each person in the queue. I had to wait over an hour to finally get to the booth! It sucked!

I inquired about the train to Delhi. He said there would be no train from Jaisalmer to Delhi today, but I could get the train from Jodhpur to Delhi, but I would have to contact, the blah, blah, blah, blah. I tuned out. Royal Bummer. I asked about tomorrow, and he said yes, there is a train tomorrow. He asked if I wanted a sleeper, I said yes, and he said I was on a waiting list. Ugh! I was 8th on the waiting list. So, I bought the ticket, thinking 8th isn't so bad, I'll probably get on. I have to go back tomorrow at 2:00 to see if I made it. I sure I hope I get on that train! Four days in the desert heat is enough!!!

Back to the hotel, told them I was staying another night, then walked to the Midtown Restaurant (recommended in multiple travel books). I had a grilled cheese sandwich and fresh Dutch apple pie. Yum!!! The applie was amazing. I sat there and chatted with the restaurant worker for quite a while, got advice on how much to pay for some things (hats, shirts, etc.), then went and bought a hat and a reading book, "The God of Small Things". Not sure what it's about, but it takes place in India.

BTW, I think I'm getting used to the heat. I didn't mind it much today. It was still flipping hot, but I seem to be adjusting now.

I went back to the room, read, and wrote in journal.

Headed to the internet about 4:30. Went to three different internet places, none of their internets were working. Internet is out all across Jaisalmer.

It was very windy today. Lots of dust in the sky, helping block out the suns heat.

As I was heading out to use the internet, the hotel dude asked me when I was leaving. I told him I'm on a waiting list for tomorrow's train, I was 8th in line. He said there would be no problems, I would get on the train..

Had supper at the hotel. Mashed potatoes and baked beans. Very good, and huge servings of each.

One thing that surprises me in India is the total lack of pirate and illegal CD/VCD/DVD's that you can buy everywhere in SE Asia. The restaurants in SE Asia always had the latest flicks showing, but that doesn't happen here at all.

Listened to music all night, to bed about 10:00.

BTW, my lips are severely chapped!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment