Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shanghai in a Flash

Slept well on the train again. Because we were late leaving, we were late getting into Shanghai. Lisa took a different train into Shanghai, which was supposed to arrive 15 minutes before my train and she was going to wait for me at the McDonalds outside the station. I was about 30 minutes late, and I went outside to the McDonalds and Lisa was there, but was getting concerned, thinking maybe she had the wrong McDonads or something.


I'm bringing a suitcase back to Canada for Lisa, as she's cancelling her teaching contract and not staying the second year.


We hopped on the metro and got totally lost on the metro trains, getting on the wrong trains, going the wrong directions. After half an hour, we got ourselves sorted and made it to the correct station and got to my hostel, Blue Mountain Bund hostel. I checked in and showered while Lisa waited, then she took me on a whirlwind tour of Shanghai.


We walked to the Bund (soooo busy with tourists, both Chinese and foreigner), then headed to a pretty interesting art district, where all kinds of artists setup shop in old, renovated warehouses). Lisa bought a couple of small photos. Then to People's Park, then to the French Concession (lots of expensive outdoor cafes, quite European), where we had a couple of drinks and supper. Lisa was also searching for another area like this French area, but she's never been able to find it since being taken there when she first to to China. She texted her friend and found out where it was. We walked about 10 blocks through totally non-touristy areas and found it, a labyrinth of small alleys full of little shops and restaurants and cafes. We had another drink. Lisa had to catch a train back to Suzhou, so I headed back to my hostel area and walked to the Bund to get (or try to get) they typcial nighttime shot of Shanghai that everyone is familiar with


Along East Nanjing Road, the pedestrian friendly road that leads to the Bund, there are lots and lots of touts, all offering me massage servies, by beautiful Chinese ladies, they all tell me. I couldn't walk 20 feet without getting another offer. I finally found the Asia I've been expecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment