Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Day in Xi'an

Another superb sleep on the train. Xi'an wasn't the last stop for the train, but I knew the arrival time in Xi'an (about 9:00am), so I was concerned about getting off at the correct station. We stopped at 8:43 at a station, so I showed my ticket to a local and asked "Xi'an?" and pointed down to indicate here. He shook his head and waved his hand, I assumed to indicate no. 15 minutes later, the train was slowing again, he tapped me and said "Xi'an", nodding. I thanked him and got off at the correct station.


After exiting the train station, as hoped, the hostel was waving a sign with my name on it. Got to hostel, checked in, had breakfast, showered, booked a Terracotta Warrior tour for tomorrow, then walked around town. Went to the bell tower, drum tower, Muslim district, the old Muslim mosque. Then walked to the south gate of the old city wall, down some random back alleys looking for some stones (which I never did find), then hit up a Walmart for some kicks, walked through a vast mall, sat outside in one of the pedestrian friendly shopping streets and people watched, then to Starbucks, then back to the hostel and did nothing too exciting. Had a couple of beers, played a couple of games of pool, watched a movie, had supper, read, journal, not necessarily in that order. Then to bed.

1 comment: