Sunday, May 15, 2011

Last day

Up about 8:30, had breakfast, then walked the opposite direction on East Nanjing Road (away from the Bund) and discovered my hostel is super close to People's Park. I walked through People's Park, lots of locals doing tai-chi and playing Chinese Checkers in the park, but backwards walking.


This morning, I couldn't go 20 feet without getting offers for watches, t-shirts, shoes, hashish and a hundred other things. It got to the point where when they approached me, I'd start talking first, "No, I don't want any watches, t-shirts, shoes, hashish, massages or anything else!" Haha, they often liked that would laugh, ask me where I was from, pat me on thre shoulder and then leave me alone.


Had a latte at Starbucks, killing time, then back to the hostel, checked out about 11:30 and hauled Lisa's humoungously heavy suitcase and my backpack to the metro, took the metro to the where it intersects with the maglev train, then took it to the airport. The maglev was awesome! 431 km/hr, took about 6 minutes to get to the airport. Probably would have been 30+ minutes on the regular metro.


Got checked in and waited for my flight and that's it. Back to Canada.


Thoughts and Observations on China
- 99% of the motorbikes are electric.
- For women, lots of leg, short skirts and short shorts, usually with stocking, are common. Not much skin showing (except arms) for tops
- Chinese are not escalator walkers
- I was really surprised at the lack of harassment (except in Shanghai). I expected that all throughout China.
Hostels in China are top notch, above and beyond anything else in Asia, and even western countries. Super impressed! And cheap. Even my mom would be happy at most of them!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good trip and lots packed into a relatively short time. jc

    ReplyDelete