Monday, May 05, 2003

Shopping Heaven!

We woke up about 8:00, Courts ear hurting even more. She tried to go back to sleep. My drugs are working great. No bowel movements at all since taking my drugs. Woohoo!!!

I decided to go to Siam Square area, where the big shopping complex district is. I was in search of a MiniDisc recorder/player.

The tourists info place had a poster there showing the different buses to take to different destinations, so I hopped on bus #15, and made it to Mahboonkrong (MBK), which is Bangkok's biggest mall. It's HUGE. 7 floors of everything, clothes, lots and lots of cell phones, electroncis, furniture, arcades, food establishments. Of course, all the international fastfood joints are here...McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, A&W, Dukin Donuts, Dairy Queen, Pizza Hut, etc., etc., etc. These shopping malls also have huge movie theatres showing english-language movies. I had KFC for lunch, and then hit Dairy Queen for a KitKat Explosion Blizzard!

AFter walking around MBK, I went across the pedway to Siam Centre and Siam Discovery Centre. These specialize more in top-end clothing stores, like CK, Armani, and the like. Very modern shopping complexes. I then went to Pantip Plaza. This was amazing. Imagine a building the size of the Town'N'Country mall, but 7 floors high, and the whole friggin thing is computers, and computer hardware and software and accessories and DVD and CD ripoffs. It was amazing. I spent two hours just walking around this place. I then continued on to the World Trade Centre, which has an ice skating rink on the 8th floor. Finally back to MBK and bought a MiniDisc player. I spent more than seven hours shopping around today!!

I finally got back to teh guest house about 7:30 after a hard day of shopping! The room was locked, Courtney told me she'd leave the key downstairs, so I went and got it, and dropped my stuff off, then went for something to eat. As I was walking, I ran into Courtney, so we went to Burger King and I gorged on another double-cheeseburger combo. Yum!!!

Courtney didn't do much today, walked around, ran into Yaneev (met him in Vietnam), Donna and Kirk (mmmm, I think we originally met them in Thailand the first time around), then after we ate in BK, we ran into Austin Powers buddy and his g/f, who we first met on a bus is Laos, then ran into buddy and his son (from outside Vancouver), who we had originally met on our Mekong Delta tour. You always keep running into people you've met before!

AFter that, we headed back to the guest house, I started playing with my new toy, and then went to bed.

I hope Courts ear started feeling better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment