Friday, May 23, 2003

Motorbike Accident

Up about 9:00, we had breakfast, then Court and I booked a ticket to Hat Yai, a night boat and mini-bus for tomorrow evening. Uta also booked ticket out for tomorrow morning. Anna also booked a ticket out for tomorrow.

We decided to rent motorbikes, Anna got one, Court and Uta got one, and Ben and I got one. Ben and I took off and visited lots of little coves and beaches and resorts all over the island. The roads on Koh Tao are absolutely terrible, many of them cracked and broken concrete or massively rutted and pot-holed dirt. And some of the roads are very steep. I had a motorbike accident and injured myself. Ben and I were on the bike, trying to go up a massive hill, the dirt road rutted and pot-holed, the bike started to tip over, I went to put my foot down to hold it up, and jammed my second toe on my right foot into a rock. I looked down, and there was blood all over it, but it didn't hurt. I suggested we go back to the hut so I can clean it up, so we got back to the hut, and I cleaned it up a bit, and my toenail was missing. I've never lost a toenail before! This is kinda cool.

Ben and I continued exploring the island with my nailess toe oozing blood and found Court, Anna and Uta at a very nice beach in Leuk Bay on the other side of the island. I showed them my wound and grossed them out a bit. Uta sympathises with me because she lost one of her toenails recently too, and it has yet to grow back. Once we found the girls, we found out that Anna's motorbike stopped working, but Tim (the guy who got stuck on Koh Pha Ngan with his tiger tail) was around with his motorbike, she Anna drove Courtney's bike with Uta on the back, and Tim took Court to this beach.

We hung out there, then Ben and I headed back, and Tim and Uta and Anna and Courtney a short while later. I cleaned up and showered, then met everyone at a restaurant and Court got me some iodine and polysporin for my wound.

We went back to the restaurant and I ordered a steak. It wasn't very good. While we were eating, Anna tried to open a bottle of ketchup and it exploded all over her chest. She started laughing and laughing, and everyone else laughed too. It was superbly funny.

We got a couple of drinks at the store and started getting ready to go out to Whitening, where the party is happening tonight. Court and Uta and Ben and me got Anna a few small gifts and a card for her birthday, which is on Sunday. We then all headed to the bar (except Ben), then Court and Uta went and got her a birthday cake, and a couple of bracelets, and we had a little birthday party for her. We had a good time, and got home about 2:30, except Anna, who refused to get up off the beach she was laying down on when we left, so we had to leave her there.

No comments:

Post a Comment