Friday, February 14, 2003

Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentines Day!

I got up about 9:00AM and went for a walk. All week I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out what to get Court for Valentine's, as anybody that know's me knows, I always do something for the women in my life. :-) She's my Valentine this year, I have no one else! Because of our situation, I couldn't really do/get anything "romantic", per se, it had to be more practical, because whatever I got her, she'd have to carry around with her. I had been thinking about a roll of toilet paper all week, as toilet paper is not a common item here, and she's always wanting some. But, I needed something else. As I was walking, I remembered she kept talking about getting this certain CD, by a group called Blue, so I bought her a ripped off copy of that CD along with the toilet paper. When I got back to the room, I had to hide it from her, and I started writing her a little Valentine's note/poem. As I was sitting there writing it, she asked me what I was writing in my journal, because she knew I had written about everything we had did the previous day last evening. She couldn't figure out what had happened overnight that would require that much writing in my journal. I just told her I writing "stuff".

We had breakfast, picked up our laundry, packed, move our bags downstairs, and just walked around. Met up with buddy from Ko Samet (known as curly hair buddy). Court started talking about buying this Blue CD, the same one I got her for Valentine's Day, so I had to take her back to the guest house and give her her Valentine's gift early. I was saving it for the bus trip later. She was very happy, and loved my dumb poem (although she tells me my poem's are not dumb), but she felt bad that she didn't get my anything, but I reassured her, it was no big deal.

Went back to the market, and I bought a Sony CD/MP3 discman with 45 second anti-skip for 2950 baht from some guy on the street. Then Court and I bought about 12 CD's. We decided to head back to the guest house and listen to our new CD's, so I opened up my new discman, and it worked. It's definately not a Sony, no serial or model numbers on it, the graphics and writing on the CD player are not "straight", totally a rip off, and came with a Panasonic AC adapter. Oh well, I paid less than $100CDN for a CD/MP3 player, I ain't complaining. Oh, and the AC Adapter will only do 220 volt, I can't use it in Canada. No big deal.

All the CD's we bought were burned CD's (not the real thing), and a lot of them include extra tracks...for example, I bought Nickelback, Silver Side Up, and it has 21 tracks on it, they put a bunch of tracks from their first CD on this CD as well. I also bought the old and the new Coldplay CD's. Ends up, the new Coldplay CD, they put 5 tracks from their first CD on the second CD to fill it up. We sat in the lobby of the guest house and listened to music, and I found out my CD player won't play some CD's very well, in fact it wouldn't play the Nickelback CD at all. Court tried the CD's in hers, and they worked fine. Great!!! I took the CD player back to street buddy, and he tried the Nickelback CD in his player, and it worked, then he tried it in mine, and it wouldn't play. He kept trying, telling me that it was a sophisicated player, it takes longer to play, but we waited and waited, and nothing. Finally, he got another CD player like mine, and tried the CD in there, and it didn't work in that one either. He then grabbed a higher end CD player (one that plays Video CD's as well), and tried it in there, and it worked fine. He wanted me to pay more for the new CD player, and I told him no, because I was never going to use Video CD's, so I'm not gonna pay more for somethign I'm not going to use. So, he ended up giving me the better CD player at the original price. He said he was sorry, it was his fault, and he mentioned that he ended up losing money on the deal. I'm happy, and it's neat, even the street vendor's selling ripped off goods are good guys to deal with.

Anyway, have to finish updating today later, gotta go catch a bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment