Tuesday, February 04, 2003

Bangkok

WE made it to Bangkok, a little late, but in one piece. The bus dropped us off at an area called Banglamphu, a huge centre for guest houses and backpackers. We checked a couple of places, and they were booked, finally found a place that had a room for 180 baht, so we took it. It's pretty much a dive, but it'll do in a pinch. We're gonna look for a better one tomorrow. It's not as bad as the International YH we stayed in in KL our first night. Court didn't sleep at all on the bus, and she was so tired, she crashed on the bed for an hour or so, while I walked around checking out other guest houses for the next day.

When I got back, we showered, and had some lunch, then started walking around. We decided to check out the Grand Palace, but found out from a couple of Canadian's in the tourist info centre that you need long pants and shirt to get in. So, we decided to shop for the day, there's a big market just near the area, so we mostly window shopped, but I bought a pair of sunglasses and a pants, and Court got a shirt. She doens't have anything to match the shirt yet, so we'll have to do some more shopping later on.

We did a lot of walking today, my feet are sore, and I'm tired, because I didn't sleep that much on the bus either. I'll sleep well tonight, and the beds in the room are soft for a change.

AFter supper, we went for dessert, I had a hot fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream, and Court pigged out on a huge banana split. Along the streets where all the guest houses are, there are a couple of "booze-busses", two guy selling drinks out of the converted Volkswagon van (and cheap too...only 60 baht!), so Court and I had a drink, then made our way to the internet. WE're not sure if we're allowed to have alcohol on the streets near the hostel, but if these guys can sell it on the street, I'm sure we can walk around with a drink in our hand.

That's about it for today, nothing too exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment