Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Last day in Pai

Yesterday Courtney made a remark after supper about not eating any more dessert, it was becoming too much of a habit...a bad habit. So she was going to refrain, and to provide moral support, I was going to not eat desserts either. Well, later on in the evening, Courtney couldn't help it, we went and had dessert. So much for will power, eh?

We walked back to the guest house and no one had a fire going, so we walked downtown to Be Bops, the local nightspot. It was very busy, there was no place to sit. It's a very small place, they do have a live band (apparently the same one for weeks on end), and they play jazz/blues-type of music. Since we couldn't get in, we walked and got dessert our dessert, then back to the guest house, and asked Johnny if we could make a fire. He said for sure, he'll grab a piece of bamboo fence for burning, and asked us if we had a lighter (we didn't), so he rounded up a lighter, and the three of us had a campfire. It was sooo nice in the cool Pai evening. Suzie from Germany joined us for a while. It's kind of humourous to listen to two people who's first tongue is not English try and converse, they don't understand each other half the time (Johnny and Suzie). Anyway, Johnny is such a nice fellow, we talked and campfired for almost 2 hours, and finally went to bed just before midnight.

It was very cool again last night. Court even got another blanket from Johnny, and got all dressed up to go to sleep, just as the night before, and even with the extra blanket, she was still cold. I slept awesome again, in just my long underwear and a flimsy blanket. Courtney looks like some huge, gargantuan monster beside me in the bed, all wrapped in and covered from head to toe. If she rolled over, I'd be a goner for sure.

In the morning, we had breakfast, rented a motorcycle and went out to the waterfall. Johnny told us to bring our swimsuits, we can swim in the some of the pools of the waterfall. We managed to find our way there, and felt the water. FRIGID COLD!!! There was a few locals, mostly kids, jumping into the pools from rocks, and having a great old time. None of the tourists would go in, though. It was like ice. Finally I decided I was gonna sit in it, at least for a photo opportunity, so Court snapped a picture just as I cringed with the cold, cold water hitting my bum. It's a funny picture. AFter I did it, Court decided she would sit in it too. Once you get used to it, it's not THAT bad. Johnny didn't tell us it was that cold!!

Back to the guest house, Court ate (I wasn't hungry yet), then we motored to find the canyon, but couldn't find it. We drove along all kinds of gravel roads, to no avail. Giving up, we headed to Cafe Del Doi for supper. Cafe Del Doi is an open air restaurant outside of town, that faces west, and we were told to go there for the sunset. We got there, I ate (Court wasn't hungry yet), they Kirk and Donna showed up (http://www.kirkanddonna.com), and we sat for a little while. Very nice sunset. It went down at 6:15. AFter a few pictures, Court and I headed to the hot springs, which were just up the road from Cafe Del Doi. I wore my bathing suit, because I knew I was going to go in the hot stream. As soon as the sun sets, the temperature starts to go down, so it was getting cool. Courtney had decided earlier that she wasn't going to go in the hot stream, so didn't bring her bathing suit. I slowly went in, and it was HOT. Once I got used to it, it was very nice, then started to feel just warm. Courtney had shorts, so she just walked in upto her shins or so. So we moved upstream a bit, upstream of the old Thai couple bathing in the stream (I didn't want their gross bathing dirt on me!), and tried to go in again. HOT, HOT, HOT! It felt soooooo nice. I slowly lowered my body in, it felt soooo good. Court saw me enjoying myself, and decided she would sit in it too, with her shorts. She brought a pair of extra long pants anyway, so we both enjoyed the hot stream. If we had tried to move upstream anymore, it would have been too hot for us.

The hot springs closed at 7:00, so we headed out and back to the huts, and sat around with other travellers and Johnny. Johnny taught us to count in Thai. Lots of Canadian's. Lisa from outside Toronto, Melissa from Winnipeg, Taz from Israel, Steve from New Zealand, Gil from Israel and Court and I all sat around for a while, then we all went to Be Bop. We sat down and were joined by a few more people. Court and I stayed for about 1.5 hours, then wandered back to the hit.

It's not nearly as cool this evening as previous evenings. That'd didn't matter to Court, though, she still covered herself up. She even tries to give me part of the extra blanket she got from Johnny the night before, but sometime in teh middle of the night, she steals it all from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment