Saturday, February 22, 2003

Trekking - Day 3

Last night Courtney was talking in her sleep. Here's how the conversation went:
Courtney: Buddy leads quite a life, eh?
Todd: What? (just waking up)
C: Buddy, he leads quite a life, eh?
T: What do you mean?
C: I don't know, just......
T: You mean just the way he lives?
C: Ya, that's it.
T: Which buddy do you mean?
C: You know, buddy.
T: You mean trekking buddy?
C: Ya, that buddy.
Conversation ends, for about a minute, then I say:
T: Can you hear me?
C: (silence)
T: Courtney, can you hear me?
C: Ya.
T: Are you sleeping?
C: I don't know, but I sure am tired.

I told her about it in the morning, she was laughing and laughing, she doesn't remember it at all. We both laughed pretty good.

Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs and toast. Court at 5 pieces of toast, then remarked: "I can't believe I ate 5 piece of toast. I usually only have one and I'm full."

Court also remarked this morning how much she was enjoying the trek, and she didn't want today to be the last day.

Oh, a note about yesterday: We were crossing a small bamboo foot bridge, and the pathetic handrailing fell off just as I got to the other side. The Korean lady was in the middle of the bridge, and almost fell into teh stream! I was surprised she didn't, so was she.

We hiked for a couple of hours in the morning, most downhill, had a few breaks along the way, usually at hill tribe "stores" where you could buy handmade crafts. Courtney bought a recorder (musical instrument, Mom), and I bought a slingshot. Each was 50 baht.

We hiked to a pickup truck, a real one this time, and stood in teh back as it drove to a restaurant, about a 10 minute drive. It wasn't very good, some sort of gross noodles.

AFter lunch, we drove to the bamboo rafting, and rafter down the river, quite a few simple rapids. I got to use the steering stick at the back of the raft, I almost took a dip a few times. It was a blast. No one else fell in either. Took about an hour, it was quite a lot of fun. Bamboo rafting is where it's at!!!

AFter the bamboo rafting was done, Court and I were all sad. We didn't want it to be over. 3 days was not nearly enough. Next time we'll try for a 7 day trek. We can't wait to get to Laos and do some trekking, 85% of Laos is mountainous.

After the rafting, we took a songtheaw back to Chaing Mai, which dropped us off at our travel agent, we got our packs, and went back to the Paradise guest house and got a room.

When we went to get our packs, the guy who sold us the tickets asked if he could have some of our pictures from our trek. He wanted to use them in his advertising! So he took us to a photo place, and he transferred a bunch of pictures from our camera's to a CD. That'd be so neat to have our pictures (and pictures of us!) in his advertising!

Anyway, all-in-all, trekking was a blast. I'd trade the concrete and cars and motorcycles of Chaing Mai for a tribal village any time, it's just so different there from here.

Anyway, Courtney uploaded some pictures, mostly trekking pics to her web site, check it out. Don't know the address, but it's in an earlier journal entry (one of the first few, I think).

Our first CD of all our first batch of pictures has arrived at my parents place, so hopefully if all goes well, there'll be a huge photo album with all our pictures on my web site soon. Check it!

Oh, by the way, the Trek cost us 1200 baht, about $40CDN. So cheap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment