Sunday, August 03, 2003

I Like Traffic Circles!!

Up about 8:45, still feeling kind of crappy from the water up the nose. I was in the middle of a dream when I awoke:
I was at my parents, and was going to use their van to go somewhere, and so I was sleeping/resting in the back seat of the van, and I got up, and my mom was driving along a highway in some hills and valleys, and I asked her a question, and she turned around to answer me, just as we were coming to a sharp corner, leading into a big valley. I yelled at my mom to watch the road, but it was too late, we went flying off the road, into the valley. A perfect arc, our trajectory was, as we flew. Time seemed to go in slow motion as we descended. We hit ground on all four wheels, and bounced high up, came down again, and bounced back up one more time, over a ridge, where we started rolling, and I yelled at my mom to "brake, stop us!". We came to a stop, and I was totally pumped that we had survived, I started yelling, "Yes, we made it! Alright, way to go, Mom, nice driving!". I jumped out of the van and started jumping up and down in excitement, then I noticed a bunch of little people (1-1.5 feet tall), all around, staring at us, moving closer. They looked very ominous. I jumped back into the van and told mom to back out of here, but now my Ford Explorer was rigth behind us, and we couldn't move. The leader of the little people said, "Why so fast? You can't leave now!", and I jumped back out of the van and asked the little leader what they wanted. The leader indicated they wanted two pizzas, right now, and they'd let us go. I remembered I had a cold, old, stale pizza I had left in my Explorer about a month ago, so I told them if they gave me a few minutes, I could get their pizzas. They obliged, so I turned my parents van into a little go-cart, so I could maneouver it out, and now we were in an alleyway in a city, so I drove the go-cart out of the alleyway, with my mom walking behind me. I thought about just ditching the little people and taking off, but I thought to myself, "No, the little people are smart, they will send a watcher out to watch us to make sure we don't ditch", so I drove up the street and around the corner, and there was a pizza place there, so I ordered a pizza, then went back to the alley to get the other pizza out of my Explorer and give it to them, but they had already raided my Explorer and got the pizza, and were chowing down on it. They exclaimed how excellent and tasty the old, stale pizza was, how much they liked it, I remarked that the other pizza would be here shortly, I raced back out of the alley to the pizza joint, and my dad and my grandme and grandpa were standing in the pizza joint, and I said Hi to each of them as I passed, then noticed that the pizza guy wasn't around, and as I inquired about where the pizza guy was, I woke up!

So, I had breakfast, bacon and egg McMuffin, then went to internet for a while, back to hostel, hung out trying to decide what to do. Saw Kaituna Cascades pick up four people from our hostel for rafting, so decided to go to the river and watch (and take pics) of them going over the falls. I read for a while, then went to Dick Smith Electronics and bought a blank MiniDV tape, then headed out to the falls. Just as I was walking to the first waterfall, I heard the whistle blow, and I ran, but *JUST* missed them, they had just finished. The owner/photographer was there, packing up his camera, I said Hi, he recognized me from yesterday, and we walked to the big (7m) waterfall together, and I got good video of them coming over the falls, then walked to the last simple rapids and took a little more video.

After that, back to town, went shopping at the $2 Store (everything is $2) bought elastics, 2 decks of cards and some headphones. Back to hostel, went to internet for a couple of hours to upload new pics to my website.

Decided to BBQ for supper, so went to Countdown and bought even more groveries; hamburger, buns, ketchup and milk and BBQ'd up two of my famous (at least to me) big-ass burgers. It was SOOOO good! Yum!!!

Packed everything (leaving tomorrow for Taupo).

At about 7:30, eight of us went to some Irish pub for quiz night. We finished 3rd out of three teams.

About 10:00, me and the Danish sisters headed back to hostel. Wrote in my journal, and to bed about 11:00.

Story: When I was in Fiji, and I got mugged, I lost my journal and a bunch of postcards I had just bought. Being the good boy I am, I bought some more, along with stamps for them all, and mailed two of them from the Fiji airport, my intent to mail the rest of them when I got the addresses. So, today, I decided I should maybe get on that, so I dug them out, filled out the addresses, when it hit me. I can't mail them, they all have Fiji stamps on them, and I'm in NZ now!! Am I ever dumb! I made a remark to another fellow at the hostel (Canadian guy), and he said he's going to Fiji in a couple of days, and offered to mail them for me, when he got there!!!! So there we go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment