Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Franz Josef Glacier and Rosemary

Slept in, woke up about 9:45. Checkout is at 10:00, so I jumped up, put some clothes on and asked the guy working if it was ok, he said no problems, so I took my time and had a shower, then removed everything from the room so he could clean it. Then had breakfast and packed the rest of my stuff in my car and left about 11:00.

Started raining last evening, and it's still pouring today. Drove up to Fox Glacier and walked to the foot of the glacier.

Then continued on to Franz Josef Glacier, got to town about 1:00, drove around a bit, stopped at a pay phone and tried calling Rosemary, no answer, so drove out to Franz Josef Glacier and walked up the valley. Still pouring rain.

Got back to town about 3:30, walked through some of the shops, then tried calling Rosemary again, no answer, so checked into Chateau Franz hostel, $18/night.

My mobile batter was dead so I plugged it in and called my voicemail, and had a message from Rosemary that she had left last night, telling me when she works. There was no mobile reception in Haast last night anyway. She said she will be off work from 3-6 today, it was about 4:45 when I got the voice mail, so tried calling again, and finally got a hold of her. She's working at Beeches Restaurant, and she offered for me to stay at her place, but they only have one bedroom, so I'd have to sleep on the floor or the couch. I declined, as I had already booked the hostel anyway. Oh, and I had a real bed with a matress and boxspring at the hostel too, not a crappy thin mattress on a bunk.

I decided to treat myself to a steak tonight, so I'll see Rosemary at work.

At 6:00, went to internet for half an hour, then to Beeches and met Rosemary. I ordered soup as a started, then a fillet of beef steak, coke, piece of chocolate cake and tea. AFter I was all done filling my face, Rosemary came over and told me not to expect a bill, as she's taking care of it. Not sure what the total was, but the steak was $28.50 and the dessert was $9.00, so it was a big bill. I left a tip, chatted with her for a moment, she recommended Franz Josef Glacier Guides as the company to do a glacier tour with (she had worked for the other company...The Guiding Company). I was sooo full. I told her I'd call her tomorrow.

Back to hostel at 8:00, read and to bed about 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment