Thursday, March 20, 2003

The Island - Day 3

Up about 8:20, had some Laos coffee, and started packing. As we were packing, Courtney remarked that I'm getting skinny, losing weight. Whe says she can see my rib cage, and she never could before. She needs to fatten me up! I was surprised, as I haven't noticed it at all.

We had breakfast (amazing omelette with croissant), she gave us our bill. Mine and Courtney's was 275,000kip, which is $27.50US for 4 days, 3 nights, that's less than $10.00 a night, all-inclusive. Pretty good!

Boat came and picked us up about 10:40, and took us to Na Nam, about 11:00, then tuk-tuk to Thalat, arrived there about 11:35, and got on a bus for Vientiane. Good timing. Bus left shortly after noon.

Got to Vientiane about 2:30, and went to the guest house that Sapir and Jasmine were staying at before, only $5.00/night, shared bathrooms, but hot showers. AFter settling in, we all went for a late lunch about 3:00. Then hit the internet, and learned of the "Iraq Freedom" operation had started by US and Britain.

AFter the internet, Courtney started walking back to the guest house, and I followed, but she was walking in the opposite direction. I thought she just wanted to go for a walk, so I never said anything. At one point, she asked which way we should go, and I pointed in the direction of the guest house, but she didn't go that way, she kept going straight, so I just kept following, thinking she knew what she was doing. Finally she asked me where our guest house was, and I told her it's WAY over there, and pointed behind us, she looked at me kind of funny, and said "are you sure?", I said ya. She was hopelessly lost. Now we're even, I got lost in KL, and she got lost in Vientiane.

We finally got back to the guest house and found Sapir, then went to a restaurant that had movies on a big screen. They were showing "Heaven and Earth" and "The Others". Now, this is ironic. Heaven and Earth is an Oliver Stone movie based on a book called "When Heaven and Earth Changed Places" (or Switched Places or something like that), and I had just read this book before coming over to SE Asia, my brother gave it to me, it's the story of a girl/woman growing up in Vietnam during the French occupation and Vietnam War. "The Others" is a cool ghost movie, but it's funny, because when we were on the island two days earlier, the four of us were talking about the movie, "The Others", Sapir and I had seen it, Courtney and Jasmine hadn't. Sapir and myself were telling the other two how great a movie it was, and how they should both check it out, and here it is playing at the restaurant.

Anyway, when we got to the restaurant, they had BBCWorld on (satellite dish), and we watched that for a while, and they started the movie about 7:15. The movies ended about 11:30, so we headed back to the guest house, sat on the verandah until about 12:30, then went to bed.

The strap on my new sandals, the ones I bought in Vang Vieng, broke already! Aghh!! And my watch, it's supposed to be waterproof, but it was all kinds of condensation inside the glass, and I can't read it!!! UGH!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment