Saturday, June 28, 2003

Jobs and old freaks

Hey all. I went on a Harbour cruise last night, it was a Sleeping With The Enemy thing, and drinks were expensive, $7 a drink. Yikes! I guess when you're stuck on a boat, what can you do? I had to take the train to Central station, then the LRT (tram) to Glebe (far away from Kings Cross), and met up with Dave. The cruise finished about 11:15, so I headed back to the hostel. The trains and stuff stop running at midnight, and I didn't wanna be stuck in Glebe and have to walk or taxi back. I got back shortly after midnight, and expected to find old guy in bed. He wasn't there! So, I went to bed, and fell asleep. I do have a slight recollection of him coming in and going to bed, but I have no idea what time. And he didn't bother me at all all night. And his suitcase appeared last night too, so he finally has come clothes and stuff. So all is ok with him so far.

And I've made an executive decision. I'm not going to get a work visa. I'm coming to the realization that I'm on holidays, I'm here to travel. Getting a work visa would mean I couldn't travel. A work visa is just that...you HAVE to work, you can't not be working, or you're in violation of your visa, and get exported. So, I feel totally free and unemcumbered by anything right now. In some ways, like a weight off my shoulders! Now, I have to decide what to do. I may go pick fruit for a couple of months, and make a little money. There's also lots of promotions and sales and telemarketing cash jobs around, and you can apparently make BIG bucks on them, but I don't know if I'm into that crap. Or head back to SE Asia for a while, but probably won't do that.

My longer term plans are to meet up with Kristin and Scott (her travelling buddy) in Singapore in mid-Sept. and travel with them. So, I just need something to do until then. I was talking to a guy last night about fruit picking, and he has lots of friends that picked fruit, and they all told him it was horrible, back-breaking work, with horrible accomodations, with hardly any pay at all, but they all told him it was one of the best experiences of their lives, and they never regretted doing it. So, maybe that's my ticket!

Anyway, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment