Monday, April 28, 2003

Koh Chang...Lovely!!!

Courtney woke me up about 7:30, "Wake up, Sleepy Head!". I was righe in the middle of a dream that Moose Jaw was being overrun by all kinds of snakes and lizards and weird sea creatures and other bizarre things, and someone had left the door to my parents house open (I was living there), and all these creatures were coming in the house. There was this really colourful snake in my bedroom, about 1 foot from my computer, and I was trying to use my computer so I could get on the internet and find out if this snake was poisonous or dangerous, but I was scared, because the snake was so close. I then decided to go downstairs (makeing sure to avoid all the other creatures in the house) and check it out on my dad's computer. That's when Court woke me up.

Courtney informed me that Tree House has a couple of places available for 160 baht (just over $5CDN), and was wondering if we should move, I said ya, let's do it, so we got our packs, checked out, walked to Tree House and took one right on the ocean. Rocky beach here, the sandy beach is about a 3 minute walk, through jungle.

Koh Chang is beautiful, it's p[art of a National Marine Park, and 85% of the island is protected. The island has mountains and thick, green jungle, with towering trees. Even on the drive in last night, in the night, I could tell it was beautiful.

And Tree House Bungalows is amazing! The restaurant/lounge/reception area is all open-air and made of wood, and is all on stilts, part of it over the ocean. It looks like part of the Ewok village from REturn of the Jedi! The huts are all small, thatch roof style, with a matress on the floor, mosquito net, and a small deck, all built on stilts, of course. There's stone walkways leading everywhere, and thick jungle vegetation everywhere. The washrooms are the coolest. They are outside, the showers are all manual (i.e. pour water over yourself from a bucket). Even inside the washrooms and toilets, you're surrounded by greenery. This is my new paradise!

We checked in, showered (cold!), had breakfast, then about 10:30 headed to the beach. It's small, but very clean, and the water is perfect, not to warm, not too cool.

Kind of cloudy today, storm-type of clouds. About 12:30, it looked like it was going to start taining, so we started back to the hut, and within a minute we were caught in a downpour. We got soaked (no big deal, we were wet anyway), and back at the hut, use the rainstorm as a shower and soaped all up and washed all the salt and sand away.

We went for lunch (the restaurant here has some awesome food, by the way!) and just relaxed. Storm clouds all around, no use going back to the beach, so we just chilled in some beach chairs on a little platform over the water. About 2:00, some dark clouds moved in and we got a couple of incredible thunder claps, and a short while later, the rain came down in torrents, lots and lots of thunder and lightning, it's awesome. Bouth Court and I love storms.

As the storm ended, both Court and I fell asleep in our chairs, and woke up about 2 hours later, sun shining in a blue, blue sky, hardly a cloud to be seen. Too hot with the sun out!

We did laundry by hand, as they have a "Laundry Corner" for the guests and we hung it out to dry, then went for supper and drinks with some others in the restaurant area, played some cards, then Court, myself and Lucille went for a walk to the beach, and sat on the beach for a while until it loked like rain, then we headed back to the hut about 11:00 and to bed.

We decided that we're going to do ur Advanced Open Water diving course, we may do it here, or somewhere else in Thailand.

Tree House has a resident cat (and a couple of dogs), and the cat just had kittens, so there's three very tiny kittens running around, they are so adorable. They are still kind of wobbly, but are curious about everything, and very playful!

I lost my watch today too! Cheap Laos watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment