Saturday, October 20, 2018

OCR World Championships Day 2

Today was the 15k race. I hate running, so was not expecting a great time, but was expecting to complete all obstacles. All 100 of them. Actually, I think it was 97, as they removed 3 obstacles from the race in the end, presumably because they were causing queues. I did it, kept my band and had a completion. Almost 50% of the 45-49 year olds didn't keep their band (i.e. couldn't complete all obstacles), and I managed 63 out of 76 for the completions, and 63 out of 149 if you count the ones that started, but lost their band (they still get to finish the course, even if you lose your band). My time was 3h 25m 02s. That's not too bad, I actually thought I was near 4 hours.

I meant to mention the weather. I was dreading getting typical English weather, especially for this time of year (cloudy, cool, rainy, drizzly, etc.) We have totally lucked out on the weather, with sunshine and above average temperatures, in the high teens! We couldn't have had better weather, so happy about that!

Tracy ended up pulling herself from the race after 53 obstacles. She has been having IT band issues for over a year, affecting her running. And there was lots of water on this course, and she got cold. She could barely walk from her IT band, so she got driven back to the emergency tent by the course officials.

I ran into my British underwear buddy along the race, and we chatted for a bit.

We headed back to town, Tracy and I headed to a pub for supper, then back to the room.

Tomorrow is the team relay and the charity race, then it's all over.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Todd, you did awesome for an old guy. So sorry to hear that Tracy had to pull out of the race. What a disappointment for her. Tell her she needs to look after herself. We get in to Terminal 1 at 4:20 p.m. on the 29th. What time do you guys get in and what time? Maybe we can share a taxi if it works out. I'm not dragging my suitcases on the metro any more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe the only reason you finished was because they took away those 3 obstacles. Be honest here buddy...you know you were failing and was going to crap out right at the end! ADMIT IT!

    ReplyDelete