Friday, October 19, 2018

OCR World Championships Day 1

We were up early, 6:30, as we wanted to get breakfast before heading out to the event location (at Nuclear Races event location, north of Brentwood) at 8:15 with Mike, Mandy and Jon. I drove the rental.

We ran into Jamie again, and another woman that goes to Cor.Fit, but who's name we couldn't remember. That's at least 8 people from Cor.Fit (our gym) at the World Championships.

My race didn't go until 11:00, but me and Tracy walked around and checked out the obstacles, and watched some of the early racers doing the course. This event is very spectator friendly, spectators can pretty much walk around the whole course, so it's awesome.

Today was the 3k race, with 25 (maybe 24, they removed an obstacle from the race) obstacles. I queued up with Jamie, Lucas and Graham, from Cor.Fit, as the grouped a bunch of different age groups together. They only let 10 people go at a time (every minute), and I was near the rear of the group, so it was after 11:30 until I finally got to the start gate.

I'm ecstatic that I completed the 3k race, and 25/24 obstacles successfully, kept my band and got my medal. It was actually relatively easy, with the training we do at Cor.Fit, nothing was really that difficult. I hate running, though, so I'll pass people on the obstacles, then they'll pass me again running to the next obstacle. Haha. If I had the desire to really improve my running, I'd be unstoppable!

I had a total time of 29m 55s. I finished 76th out of 202 racers in my age category (non-pro). 427th out of 1070 men in the open (non-pro) division.

The pro racers started in the afternoon, and everyone was excited to see them, as the best OCR racers in the world are here, including Ryan Atkins and Lindsay Webster, both Canadians and two of the best OCR racers in the world.

To put my time into perspective, the top pro racer today was Jonathon Albon, with a time of 15m 37s. (Ryan Atkins was second place, with a time of 16m 07s.)

Anyway, we all headed back to Brentwood mid-afternoon, and Tracy and I went to The Swan pub for an early dinner, then back to the hotel room, watched tv, did journal stuff and photo stuff and showered to get all the mud off of me.

Tomorrow is the longer 15k race with 100 obstacles. I'll probably be running very slowly (and even walking) lots of it. I've never done a longer obstacle course race (did I mention I hate running?), so it'll be interesting.


2 comments: