Thursday, September 10, 2009

Off to Ecuador!

Up at 4:30am for the taxi to the airport. Taxi came at 5:00. We're working on 3 hours sleep. On the way to the airport, I started feeling very sickly, like vomiting, dizzy, fainting. That's what I get for going out the night before. When we got to the airport, I seriously was on the verge of throwing up and fainting. I was not in a good state, sweating profusely, really dizzy. I started to think I got like swine flu or something. I tried to walk to a bathroom, but had to stop numerous times to prevent myself from falling on the floor. I drank some water and started feeling a bit better. Plane ride to Toronto was uneventful, at Toronto we had some lunch and waited for our flight to Bogota, Columbia. When we were boarding, there were lots of drug enforcement officers and a dog checking passengers for drugs. I had to stop and let the dog sniff me, I guess I looked like I might be harbouring some drugs. The dog didn't detect anything on me, so I was able to board. They were searching a lot of Columbian passengers, though, going through their bags and such. Got to Bogota, the airport isn´t anything special. Not too nice. On the flight to Quito, as we were coming in for a landing, the plane suddenly jolted. I seriously, for a fraction of a second, thought that we had crashed. I looked outside, the wing of the plane was shrouded in clouds, then the plan jolted a bunch more times. Bad turbulence, but we landed fine. We left the airport around midnight, and got a mini-bus to our hostal, hoping it would be open! Kirsty booked it online, but when she emailed back to confirm that it was ok that we'd be arriving after midnight, she didn't get a reply. We should have took a taxi, it would have been one-third of the cost. The mini-bus was $12. When we arrived at Hostal Marsella, it was all closed up. We rang the doorbell, and no one came. The mini-bus dude waited, and we rang again, and finally the owner came and let us in. He was in his pyjamas. We told him we had a reservation under Kirsty Neill, he was looking in his book, he had no reservation. He finally found it, for the following night, Kirsty had booked for the wrong night!

2 comments:

  1. Swine flu is more like real flu where you're coughing and sneezing - not where you're about to puke!

    ReplyDelete