Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Going Home

Up at 7:00. Had an ok sleep, but this guest house doesn't provide any sheets or blankets, so I used my silk sleeping sheet and two towels, but was a little cold with the A/C. So much for treating myself!

I went for breakfafst at 8:00, used internet and did some more shopping.

Not to be completely outdone by Coke, Pepsi has "sponsored" the road next to Koh San Road (the road with the Viengtai Hotel). It's plastered with Pepsi banners.

I stopped at a 7/11 to buy some Sangsom (nasty Thai whiskey). Erin and I want to drink buckets at Courtney and Chris's reception in May, so I needed to bring back some Sangom and Thai Red Bull (which is way stronger than the lame Canadian Red Bull). It was funny, because 7/11 isn't supposed to sell alcohol until after 5:00pm, so when I asked for it, she grabbed the bottles, and kept looking around to make sure no one (the law) was around, and hid them close to her, then quickly stuffed them inside a bag I already had. She was totally afraid of getting caught. I paid, and as I was walking out of 7/11, a cop was just coming in! We were probably 15 seconds away from being busted!

As I was walking back to my room, I walked by a restaurant, and a girl working in the restaurant had a bucket filled with water. As I walked by, she splashed a little bit on me, smiling. She's getting ready for Songkram. A short bit later, ran into another small Songkram parade, where they were handing out different pamphlets about Songkram.

Caught a noon mini-bus to the airport (150 baht). Checked my bags, and got through customs fairly quickly, and had lots of time before my flight. Went to Burger King and then had a dessert and a mocha at another place.

On the flight from Bangkok to Taipei, watched "I Am Legend". Frickin awesome movie!

Had a 2 hour layover in Taipei.

On the Taipei to Vancouver let, watched "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street", a really bizarre musical and very dark comedy starring Johnny Depp and Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat).

In Vancouver, I had 1.5 hours to get to my Air Canada flight. But, it took over 1 hour to get my bag from the baggage claim, and then the line at the Air Canada check-in was soo long, by the time I actually made it, I had missed my flight. There were many others in the same boat as me. I wasn't concerned, it didn't matter to me. The lady booked me on a later flight, so I had over an hour before my new flight. When I was in Taipei, I realized that I have no way to get into my house. I don't have a key to my place, and I didn't know my roommates phone number. So, in Taipei, I used the internet, and sent my roommate an email, asking her leave my door unlocked. However, just as I hit send, the decided to cut the power to the internet computers, and I didn't think the email went. When I got Vancouver, I called my brother (Darren) and told him I needed to stay at his place. A while leater, used an internet station at the Vancouver airport and Nina (roommate) did get my email, and she will leave my door unlocked for me.

From Vancouver to Calgary, watched "Bob Saget: That Ain't Right", Bob Saget doing live stand-up comedy. Because of Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos, I thought he was a clean act, but was I mistaken. He's NASTY! This is dirty stuff, and was shocking to see. But very funny.

Got back to my house about 1:30. When I went to bed, I remember thinking how bizarre it was, last night I was sleeping in a guest house in Bangkok, and here I am now, in my own bed in Calgary. WOW. And two night previous to that, I was sleeping in a beach hut on Koh Tao.

No comments:

Post a Comment