Friday, January 31, 2003

In Krabi

It's Friday evening, and we're in Krabi. Not much to do in Krabi in the evenings. Anyway, here's the updates for the last two days:

Thursday, Jan. 30, 2003
We went to bed about 9:00PM last night, and slept in until about 9:00 AM. Had breakfast in town, and bought a van ticket to Krabi (180 baht). We just took it easy and laid on the beach today, until about 3:30. I snorkeled out to a big rock jutting out of the ocean off of our resort. It was amazing, lots and lots of colorful fish. The BIG angelfish are the best, but they're quite shy, and won't let me get very close for a good picture. I swam around the rocks for about 20 minutes, then started heading back to shore, and ran into a *HUGE* school of fish (I think they were squid...long, slender bodies, swam in a huge school, must have been a thousand of them), and I swam in amongst them, it was a totally awesome experience!!! I swam around with them for about 10 minutes, then headed back to shore. It was quite breathtaking.

I found a HUGE spider in our hut (almost as big as a tarantula), and made the mistake of telling Courtney about it. She insisted I get rid of it, so first I tried to get a big branch, and get the spider to go on it, then I could take it outside. Didn't work. They she insisted I try to kill it by spraying it with Off insect repellant. Being the skeptical type, I tried it, but after the first spray, the spider ran really fast, and dissappeared. Never saw him after that. Courtney hates spiders!! I learned from that, I'll never tell Courtney if there's spiders in our room anymore.

We went to town for supper, came back and packed our stuff up. A truck was going to pick us up at 7:30AM the following morning, heading for Krabi. We went to the restaurant for a drink, we were bored, it gets dark so quickly. There was a totally cute little kitten in the restaurant, playing around, and just being a kitten. We stole a ball from a neighbouring resort and tried playing some beach volleyball in the dark, but it's no fun with only two people. We gave the ball back, then Courtney tried doing some flips in the sand (she did well!)

Notes:
- a lot of older tourists (40+) around Koh Lanta. Also, there's a lot of couple's touring, as opposed to groups of guys or girls travelling together (like in Mexico).
- the dogs here (and there a lot of them!) are totally calm and laid back. Even if they are rabid, they'd never bite, they just sleep and lounge around all day, totally non-aggrressive. They're never tied up, they all roam free.

Friday, Jan. 31, 2003
The bus picked us up about 7:10AM and took us to the Krabi international airport, about 10 km out of town, so we had to take a taxi to town. We had a reservation desk make reservations at the Chan Cha Lay Guest House (recommended in Let's Go), for 250baht a night. Very nice and clean guest house, with shared washrooms and showers, but they were very clean as well. It's a brand new guest house, according to Let's Go. When we got to the guest house, the lady only had one room left, which was a small room, two single beds, with one small window facing a concrete building next to us. As we were having lunch at the guest house restaurant, she came up and told us she had a room upstairs, at the front of the building, facing the street, if we wanted it. Of course, we took it (same price), and she took us up and showed it to us. We totally got the best room in the whole guest house now. Large double bed, two windows, one facing the street, with a great view down the street. Right outside the room is a balcony, so Court and I had a few drinks of our cheap Thai whiskey we had bought in Koh Lanta, as we sat on the balcony. We were going to go to a Country Dance Bar we had seen earlier, while walking around Krabi. After having a few, it was still very early (about 8:00), so we started walking to the bar, and there was NO ONE inside. They weren't even playing any music. Apparenly the nightlife is best about 20 minutes from town, at a beach called Au Lang (or something like that, I forget now).

AT lunch at the guest house, I had iced coconut milk. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So sweet and tasty, I love it. Does anyone know if coconut milk is high in calcium like cow's milk? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. I ended up having some more coconut milk at supper at another restaurant.

Krabi is a lot cheaper than Koh Lanta, restaurants are cheaper to eat it, internet is half the price (still slow, though, so no pictures yet).

All day, these firecracker things have been going off. They are VERY loud, and one of them went off next door, and scared the crap out of me. It's the Chinese New Year here, and everyone is firing off these firecrackers. They are pretty neat. I asked at the guest house, and there's nothing "special" about the Chinese New Year here, it's a family affair, so no big parties or street parades or anything.

I think I may have travellers diahrea. (sp?)

Courtney is shopping heaven again. They have a much better selection here than Koh Lanta, and cheaper too. But we've been spending WAY too much money, we have to watch it, so she's trying to cut back. She did buy some nice pants for 85 baht though (less than $3.00CDN).

Ooh, I have to tell you about my stomach. I got a bad burn a few days ago, and yesterday my stomach started blistering, and today it's super itchy and kinda sore, the blisters are breaking, it's all sore and peeling and gross. Cool, eh?

Tomorrow we're going to rent a motorbike and take a trip to some hot springs and soak. I think we're going to try to hit the nightlife centre at that beach as well.

BTW, pedestrian's in SE Asia DO NOT have the right of way. If you're walking, get out of the way, or get run over.

We found a cheap Lonely Planet Thailand book (a photocopy from Vietnam!), which is good.

Anyway, I suppose it's time to go. Until next time, TTYL.

No comments:

Post a Comment