Saturday, October 04, 2014

On our way to Columbia

I met Ryan at his house about 2am. Ryan and Olga didn't understand why I was there so early, but you're supposed to arrive at the support airport 3 hours early.
We took a Car2Go to the airport and there was hardly anybody there. Another older couple came over and said he even called the airline and they told him 3 hours. Nothing was open except the self check-in terminals. I swiped my passport and it told me it needed more information, so provided the flight number and it said it couldn't find my reservation. Holy crap. I tried again, this time giving it my destination city, same result. I'm shitting bricks. It printed off a slip and told me to see an agent (which were not open yet). I sat down dejected. Ryan suggested I try another terminal, so did. This time I provided my confirmation code. Thank the gods, it found my reservation and I got my boarding pass printed.
When Ryan went through the process, the system automatically provided him an upgraded great seat near the front of the plane. He thought he was going to have to pay extra for this seat, so he overrode the default and selected a different seat at the back of the plane. His bad when I finally got through, it auto selected the same seat he was originally given, and I accepted it, no extra charge, and got extra leg room out of the deal. Ryan ended up during beside a 600 pound woman who's fat was overflowing into his seat.
We had a long superior stopover (6+ hours) in Dallas. We arrived in Bogota about 11pm, breezed through immigration and dad was waiting for us at the luggage pickup area. Ryan wasn't really surprised, as apparently Chloe let the cat out of the bag about dad meeting us down here. (Olga, don't get mad at Chloe!)
We got a taxi to the hostel (Casa Platypus), a nice hostel, if fairly expensive. Remember me trying to pay the taxi driver 200,000 pesos on a taxi charge of 18,200. The taxi driver was honest and gave me back 150,000, but kept the large to of over 30,000 pesos.
We had a beer at the hostel in our room and then to bed around 1:00am.

Posted via Blogaway

2 comments: