Thursday, May 05, 2005

It's Such a Small, Small World

For the last few days here at the Kathmandu Guest House, there's been this guy around. He looked so familiar to me, and his voice resonated familiarity. I couldn't place him, though, and I just kept coming back to the conclusion that he seemed familiar because I'd seen him around the guest house in previous visits here. I saw him again in the courtyard today, he was out there drying tents or something, talking to another guy, and he was sooooo familiar to me...but who was he? I had supper at the guest house, and he was sitting at the other end of the restaurant with a few other people, I kept glancing at him, and every once in a while, his voice carried over (he has that type of voice), and was wretching my head, trying to figure out who he was...I knew it was more than someone who I'd seen around the guest house in previous visits, he was too familiar, then it hit me...I figured why I knew him....

Woke up about 9:00, showered, and went for breakfast. The longer I'm here, the less I feel like eating, my stomach often turns at the thought of eating again, even though there's lots of western food available, it's not the same. But I eat anyway.

Then I headed to The Last Resort office in Kathmandu to inquire about going up to the Last Resort for a few days, for bungy jumping and whatever else (canyoning, kayaking, trekking, etc.) I booked for two nights at the Last Resort, I leave on Saturday. The Last Resort is only 13km from the Tibet border. They are giving me a Deluxe tent for $25/night (it's regular $40/night), inclusive of all meals. If I stay longer than two nights, I get can get extra nights at $20/night. I didn't book any activities yet, as I can do that when I get up there.

I didn't do too much for the rest of day. I sat in the courtyard for quite a while and read. This guy, who seemed to familiar to me, was out there appearing to dry out tents and tarps, talking to another guy.

I headed to the internet for a while in the afternoon.

I finished the book I was reading, so went to the book store and bought the second book in that series.

About 6:30, I went for supper at the restaurant at the guest house...once again, my stomach not feeling like I really want to eat, but I knew I had to. I ordered a chicken burger. As I was waiting for it, the guy who seemed so familiar to me walked in and sat down at a table with three other people on the other side of the restaurant. I kept glancing at him, and every once in a while his voice carried over...soooo familiar...who was he???!??!??!??!? I sat there, trying to figure it out, then it hit me.

I worked with him at the Eco-Challenge Canadian Championships in Golden, BC. a few years ago. He was my volunteer boss! After I finished eating, I went over and approached their table. I said excuse me to them, then his eyes lit up, and a big smile appeard on his face, and he said, "I know this guy!". He remembered my name, where I live, what I do, where we met. I couldn't remember his name, I asked him, it was Harold. Yes, Harold! He's from Toronto. What are the chances of meeting someone you know in Nepal like that. They must be astronomical, but the world is a very, very small world.

They invited me to sit with them, then they invited me join them for supper somewhere. We went to the Northfield Cafe, they had a live band, and the place was packed with foreigners.

Harold is here trekking Everest, part of a Canadian group trying to summit. One of the men he was trekking with, a Canadian man, died on the mountain recently. I hadn't heard anything about it, but apparently it was all the news in Canada recently. I'm just searching for this story as I type this....looks like the man's name is Sean Egan. His two children, Anna and Seamus, are here to do some trekking on part of the trail up to Everest Base Camp. To "walk in the footsteps" of their father, so to speak. Harold is taking them up. The fourth guy sitting with them at the restaurant was Lakma (sp?), a Sherpa guide, from Lukla. He'll be the guide for their trek. They are leaving on Saturday at 7:00am to fly to Lukla, then they will trek to Namche Bazaar, then back down to Lukla and fly back to Kathmandu. They'll be gone for four days, coming back on Wednesday. They invited me to join them. I'm seriously considering going with them, except I've already booked (and paid for) two nighs at the Last Resort. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the Last Resort office and see if I can cancel my trip there and get a refund.

Wow, what a strange turn of events, eh?

Anyway, we stayed at the Northfield Cafe until about 10:30, then headed back to the guest house and to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment